Cotswolds - Dining

Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Cotswolds - Dining

Hi, we have a short trip planned in August( 3 nights). Any recommendations for suppers in Chipping Camden and Bourton on the Water. We are staying at Badgers hall for the first 2 nights and will likely eat there 1 night. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM

Dock,

In September 2006 I stayed at the Bantam Tea Room (they rent rooms). I had Sunday tea there. Very busy, with a nice selection of goodies. The same trip I also ate dinner at the Lygon Arms. The food was good, and lots of it, although it was clear that I was a visitor. Several locals stopped by my table to chat, and ask where I was from. I would eat at both places again. Another nice detail about staying at the Bantam Tea House was that when I made arrangemenst to pay for my stay the night before I left (I had a very early train) the owner packed a huge box of pastries for me to "snack" on during my train ride. Nice touch.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM

Forgive me if this sounds grumpy, but neither town has a consistently good restaurant (or a consistently bad one either for that matter, though the Greek place in Chipping C is well down to the standards of a package holiday hotel in Corfu), and management and staff are subject to rapid and frequent turnover.

Any recommendations based on previous years are of very limited value indeed. Both places are pretty small, and in your shoes I'd just meander round looking at the menus posted outside.

I certainly wouldn't try to plan what's going to be a pretty forgettable meal eight months out.
Jan 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Hi Dock --

I have a trip report (linked to my name) from this past September. We spent four days eating our way through the Cotswolds. You'll find details for all the towns and places we hit. We especially enjoyed the tea house we stopped at in Bourton.

Enjoy!
Jan 27th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.
Feb 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Just outside CC is a small village - Paxford- with an amazing pub- Churchill Arms-- go there for every meal!!! There are many small villages near Bourton that have great pubs-- The Fox in Great Barrington- The Lamb in one of the Rissington's, Horse and Groom- in one of the Oddingtons and a great pub in Kingham- can't think of name-The Plough in Ford-- list goes on-- have fun
Feb 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM

We had a great dinner at Caminetto's Italian Rest. on the High Street in Chipping Campden. Small, intimate restaurant with very good food.
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM

The pub in Kingham is also called The Plough Inn . . . . .
Feb 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM

For foodies: if you don't find a restaurant in Chipping Camden that suits and if you like cooking at home, while you're in CC you could check out the Robert Welch company specializing in tableware, cookware, cutlery, etc. They have some sleek stuff and designed the cutlery used in Eurostar first class.
www.welch.co.uk