Search

Cotswold Way

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cotswold Way

Hello,

My wife and I are planning to walk the Cotswold Way in July. We live in Holland and are flying to Bristol (on a Saturday). Is it possible to get to Chipping Campden in one day?
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Driving from Bristol, yes. Walking? I have no idea.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Is it possible to get to Chipping Campden</i>&quot;

Please clarify what you are asking. Do you mean driving to Chipping Campden? - yes very easy. Or taking public transport? - yes but fairly convoluted involving trains/buses. Or walking? No - it is about 100+ km
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

I am sorry, the question is: we are traveling by public transport. Flying to Bristol and then with bus and/or train to Chipping Campden. Another option is flying to London and then with train and/or bus to Chipping Campden. We are not really shure what the best option will be.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are no trains to Chipping Campden. Trains do go to Moreton-in-Marsh and then you'd have to take a taxi or a local bus on to Chipping Campden which is maybe 6-7 miles away.

There are no direct trains from either Bristol or LHR to Moreton-in-Marsh - so no matter which airport you use you'll have transfers.

I don't have time enough right now to look up trains from Bristol - so I'll leave it so hopefully flanneruk or another local will see your thread. Or, barring that, later today I can try to find the train itineraries for you . . . . .
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Bristol Airport is not such a good bet. Here are the easier choices:

London Heathrow Airport - take the train or Railair Coach to Reading railway station, then travel by train to Moreton-in-Marsh and get a bus 21 or 22, or arrange for a taxi for the short journey to Chipping Campden.

Birmingham International Airport - arrange a taxi for the one hour journey to Chipping Campden. Alternatively, get a train to Oxford and then change for one to Moreton-in-the-Marsh, and then get a bus or taxi.

Train times are at:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Local taxis are as follows:

CDC Private Hire tel. 07803 020351
e-mail [email protected]

Cotswold Private Hire tel. 07980 857833

Marnic Executive Cars Ltd
tel. 01608 651561
e-mail [email protected]

Old May 6th, 2008, 10:46 AM

You will have to take the airport shittle bus into Bristol and get off at Temple Meads station.

Go to www.nationalrail.co.uk and enter your dates and the relevant stations - in this case Bristol Temple Meads and Moreton-in-Marsh. Then up will come various options for you with prices. You will mostly likely have to change at least once.

Like janis I don't really have time to do this sort of research for you, but if you arrive at the airport before noon there is no reason why you should not be in CC by the evening. In fact I just had a quick look using tomorrows date, and you would have to change at Worcester and the cheapest standard fare single is &pound;25.

Fares tend to be less if you book in advance, but have a bit of a search yourself using your own dates and no doubt you'll come up with a better deal.

Good luck and enjoy the walk!
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Ooops!! that should be shuttle bus quot;&gt;
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM

The only London airport that makes sense for this is Heathrow: none of the other London airports have a direct connection to Oxford railway station, leaving you with an uncomfortable half-mile trudge across Oxford from the bus station to catch the train to Moreton. From Heathrow, what Londonres meant to say was that you have a choice between the bus to Reading station or the Heathrow Connect or Express train to Paddington. Personally, I use the train to Paddington for the onward train to the Cotswolds - but that's just me.

Birmingham is actually the most convenient public transport connection: train from the airport to Oxford: connect there for a train to Moreton: bus to Chipping Campden (bus timetables at http://www.cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/file...sTtable07b.pdf)

If you use Bristol, note that there are two stations in Worcester, and double-check the nationalrail site to check your connection works.

All of which said, I can't see the journey from any of these airports taking more than four hours from the time you get through immigration.

Old May 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Our journey will be:

Holland - London Stansted by plain
STN - London Victoria Street by bus
Victoria Street-Paddington Station by metro
Paddington - Moreton-in-March by train
Moreton-in-March - Chipping Campden by bus

I guess it is not the easyest way, but we will arrive at CC the same day, and it is not to expansive.