Cote D'Azur Itinerary

Search

Cote D'Azur Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cote D'Azur Itinerary

Ok, here's my tentative 9 day (no car) June itinerary. I am open to rearranging as recommended. Fly into Nice on a Fri morning. Arrival day (Fri.)- spend exploring Nice. Use Nice as base.
Day 2- Eze, Monaco, Menton.
Day 3- St Paul de Vence, Vence, Tourettes.
Day 4- Train to St Raphael, boat to St Tropez.
Day 5&6- St Tropez, on the beach.
Day 7&8- explore Cannes & Antibes from hotel in either, depending on what's available.
Day 9- fly out of Nice in the morning.
Please advise on a few things & anything else that stands out- does this seem like a good schedule? Is public transportation ok for above itinerary or should we rent a car? Is the drive from Nice to St Tropez worth doing vs train/bus? Am I squeezing in too much during my days in Nice? Thank you Fodorites!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:56 PM

You have a good schedule laid out: I don't see any need for revision except to add that if you got an early start on Day 3 (and a late return) you might be able to make it up to Gourdon.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM

Looks fine.

Why are you taking a train/boat to St Tropez instead of a boat all the way? Is there a convenient connection where you won't loose much time?

Day 5 (Tues) is market day in St Tropez. Are you aware that the famous beaches in St Tropez are out of town - maybe 10-15 mins by car? Actually, they are not even in St Tropez - they're in the domaine of Ramatuelle. I don't know the bus schedule (if there are busses) - we always have a car.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

If I get to Gourdon, will I have trouble getting back by train late? I didn't realize there was a boat directly from Nice to St Tropez. Do you have any more info on that Stu? I've read about renting scooters or taking a taxi to the St Tropez beaches. Is this feasible? Thanks!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM

You could take the (new) train from Grasse to Cannes.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking of skipping Grasse, as I've heard mixed things about it. I'll be heading from Nice to St Tropez w/o a car.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:55 AM

>>Stu? I've read about renting scooters or taking a taxi to the St Tropez beaches. Is this feasible? Thanks!!<<

Sure - I assume they have taxis there. We rented bicycles sereral years ago from a place that also had scooters. If you are staying in St Tropez, it would be nice to have a scooter to get you to Gassin, Ramatuelle, & Grimaud to visit these villages. Bormes-les-Mimoses is farther away, but worth a visit.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu. Could you answer one other question please- you mentioned a boat directly from Nice to St Tropez rather than a train then boat. I hadn't heard of this before. I thought my only option was train to St Raphael than boat to St Tropez. I'd much prefer the boat direct. Do I get the boat in Nice? Do you know what it is called or where I go to catch it? Sorry for so many questions!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:33 AM

You don't need to visit Grasse, just catch the train to Cannes there.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Underhill. I misunderstood. Thank you!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:06 AM

I've never taken a boat, I just remembered walkinaround's post from your prior thread.

>>did a day trip on one of the boats. can't remember how long it took but i would say between and hour to two. this is a good way to go. the seas were too rough for the boat on the way back but a bus was substituted. pretty trouble free.<<

contact the Nice tourist office to get the specifics and the definitive answer.
[email protected]
www.nicetourism.com
www.nice-coteazur.org

Stu Dudley

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Kiki; if you're in St Tropez on a market day, the market there is great. So many wonderful food! You could pick up a picknick to eat on the beach later perhaps. I think that shopping in St Tropez is the best on the Cote d'Azur, lots of great boutiques, nice atmosphere. Don't know about getting to the beaches from town (I always have a car) but there must be a bus somewhere, or indeed rent a scooter.
Have a great time!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tulips!