Cost per day for meals/Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to plan our daily budget, and would like to stay within a reasonable range. How much can we eat dinner for reasonably in Paris? I am having a tough time finding sample menus with prices at restaurants online, only the fixed price menus.

By reasonably, I mean that I will be mostly drinking water (tap is fine) since I am pregnant, and DH may have one glass of wine ( or possibly water as well- not a big drinker). We aren't big 'foodies', and will probably just eat a main course- we don't normally get appetizers, dessert. The only costs I see in books, etc are usually for fixed price menus so I don't have an idea of regular courses.

For breakfast, we are going to buy groceries to keep in our apartment so that we can eat at home and take our time in the mornings.

For lunch, we plan on picking up crepes or a sandwich...nothing formal or sit-down. Any idea on average costs for this type of lunch per person? We will probably pick up bottled water at the store and carry it with us for drinks.

We do plan on having a splurge night or two for the record! I am just trying to figure out a rough budget for what we will need per day. Thanks for any help
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM

There are all sorts of inexpensive offerings throughout Paris. We especially enjoy the open faced grilled sandwiches and composed salads offered at most cafes.

Since you're staying in an apartment, you'll save a fortune on coffee and water. Bring or buy small bottles of water. Then, buy liters of water at a grocery store for refilling the smaller bottles.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM

For dinner with 1 glass of wine, & only a main course, you can find lots of stuff for 30-45E total (for 2) if you are not a big foodie, but would like a nice, somewhat relaxed sit-down meal. In France, you can get a salad that is as filling as a large meal - but much less expensive. Prices include tax & service.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:52 PM

More info.

We spend 2 months in France almost every year, and we stay in Gites(houses). We cook our own dinners quite often. Paris has LOTS of take-out places - more than cities in the US (we live near San Francisco).

Make a "Gite" Chicken
1 pre-roasted chicken (you'll see them everywhere)
1 tub of Creme Fraiche
small Dijon Mustard
some hard cheese (optional)

Mix 1 1/2 T of the mustard & some grated cheese into the creme fraiche & heat.

Cut up the chicken & pour the creme fraiche sauce over it.

Lots of Chinese carry-outs - but the quality is pretty poor compared to what we get in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Go to the Rue Cler or Buci market & make other choices for dinner. Lots & lots of possibilities.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM

My wife and I did exactly what you are planning just a couple of months ago. We found food prices in the local supermarkets not too different from those in North America. Every morning we treated ourselves to freshly made croissants from the bake shop across the street. They were around a €1.25 for two, but well worth it. The best thing you can do is go to the nearest street market for produce. We went to the Bastille Market on Sunday morning and bought veg and meat. We had the most magnificent lamb chops I have ever had - and I am a lamb connoiseur - for about €12. Not cheap, but a great treat nevertheless. Another time, we had salmon from the market, salad and a selection of cakes from there also and the bill was €40 for four of us.Whole chickens can be had there for very reasonable prices. Veg and fruit were quite cheap in September. We ate a couple of times at a restaurant called "Equinox" on the rue de Rosier. We had a super meal with wine,kir and coffee for €23. If you wanted the same meal without the kir and wine it was only €15. A friend had the cheaper meal and had a glass of fruit juice and tea instead and her bill came to €25.It pays to have the set menu. Wine is cheaper than a soft drink. The quality of the food was outstanding and well worth a visit. Each time we were there by 7.20 pm and by 7.45, the place was full. Have a great time.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM

There are a lot of sample 'cartes' on the BestRestaurantsParis.com site...
I would say the 'main' course at most any average neighborhood place costs anywhere from 12-25 euro... Wine/glass around 5-8 euro... Desserts (it's ok to share a dessert) avg. 6-9 euro....

Filled crepes (street stand) avg. 2-4 euro each... Pre-made sandwiches usually around 3-5 euro...
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM

I was in Paris last Feb with DH.

Every day we ate breakfast at our hotel (included with room). For lunch we ate crepes we bought at crepe stands. Crepes were about 4.50€ for a ham & cheese crepe. They are really big enough to split.

We were saying in the 6th & there were many restaurants that offered a 3 course meal for 20 €. We usually had one of these for dinner. We did spend more a couple of times.

One night we had fondue & one night we went to Relais de Venise for steak. At Relais de Venise we waited in line for 1.5 hours. DH's only comment was,"There are three restaurants on this corner that are completely empty. The line is here. It must be good." I believe these dinners were about 45 € pp.

The fixed price menu is really the best deal. Just check out the menu posted on the outside of the restaurant. Typically a three course meal will include an entre (what we call appetizer), a plat (what we call an entre) and a dessert. The portions are alot smaller than what is typical in the States so don't worry about not being able to finish your dinner.

Restaurants usually offer several different fixed price menus. The price depends on the number & types dishes. A restaurant may offer a 15€, 20€ and 30€ menu. A 15€ menu may just be 2 courses; entre & plat or plat & dessert. A 20€ menu might be 3 courses. A 30€ menu might be three courses with more expensive dishes. I just used these prices as a typical example.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:35 AM

>>Every day we ate breakfast at our hotel (included with room). <

I have never encountered a hotel in France where breakfast was "required". Even if they include it in the price they quoted you, they will reduce the price of the meal (price posted on the back of your room door - along with the room rate) from the room tab. Restaurant breakfasts are one of the most overpriced ways to eat breakfast - unless you choose to have breakfast at Deaux Magots.

B&Bs almost always include manditory breakfast.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:43 AM
ira

Hi kj,

Determine what you would spend in a large American city in USD - say $50.

Figure on spending 50E.