cost of gelati in Venice?

Nov 7th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

cost of gelati in Venice?

In rome at easter, we were paying less than E1 for a scoop or two, whereas in florence last week, the same size come was costing upwards of E2. so how much should I be paying in Venice???
also found that food was loss good and dearer in florence than it had been in Rome. Does this apply to Venice too?

I'm off in Thursday, so I'd like to know how much to budget for this essential.

Thanks, Ann
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:18 AM

At most of the ice cream stands, €1 per scoop. It may be a little higher by Piazza San Marco though.
Nov 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM

I paid 1 euro in Venice on Saturday(11/04) for one scoop-flavor tiramasu- delicious!
ENJOY!
Nov 7th, 2006, 04:29 AM

I'd recommend searching previous posts on Venice for restaurant recommendations. I'm sure there are some decent inexpensive places to eat, but we didn't find them!
Nov 7th, 2006, 04:37 AM

We found the food in Venice worse than in Rome and much higher priced. SOME Venice restaurants - not all - have the attitude of "we'll never see you again, so what do we care."

We did, however, find many great little spots. A few I remember off the top of my head are La Zucca and Il Rufallo (?sp)- both in the main Sante Croce Campo - very good food, very good price. Il Rufallo is right beside a little canal - outdoor eating - next to the church.
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks all - why was florence so expensive? [silly Q, I suppose]

wanderer - I found your post now you've found mine. i'll make a note of your recommendations.

Thanks again,

ann
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM

I had been told to expect scoops of gelato to be very small. We first visited Rome and the scoops were huge. A little smaller in Florence. Very small in Venice. I'm generally a "one scoop" person, but in Venice, one feels like one needs to order multiple scoops, just to fill up the cone.
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Nico's gelato scoops were large and only 1 E last spring. We ate at many reasonable and wonderful restaurants during our two week stay in Venice, all away from San Marco in oother more residential neighborhoods.
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Jed

In our recent visit to Venice and Florence, with gellati almost every night, we found that in Venice the one scoop was usually 1 € and a good amount. In places it was 2 €.

In Florence, it was 3 € around the Duomo, and 2 € further away. The scoops were smaller there, in our estimation.

Of course, it depends on who is doing the scooping.
Nov 14th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

just got back - it wasn't really warm enough for much gelati, but I had to have one. The going rate seemed to be about E1 per scoop, and the one i had was a good size. Could hardly have been more tourists, even in november, which begs the question - why so expensive in florence?
Nov 14th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Hi A,

I absolutely love this forum !!! I don't know if your post is written with a little bit of humor, but setting a budget for gelati after spending hundreds if not a few thousand for your trip. Classic !!!
Nov 20th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

well perhaps my tongue was in my cheek a little, but i usually travel with husband and two kids, so two gelati each a day can mount up!
The real rip off in venice was the blue card my friends kindly bought for me - yes it got us all the boats for free and into the toilets, but nothing else, except a discount at the glass museum on murano.
A boat pass would have been much a much better deal, even though the toilets are E1 a go. [looking after the pennies again!].

Search this Thread