Corwall and SE England in a Week-Where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2016, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The situation: a two-week "North Cape" cruise leaving and returning to Southampton in August 2017.
I am currently torn between simply hanging around London (for shows and perhaps a couple of museum re-visits) or flying as far as Verona for another opera overload and then back to the UK for the cruise.

August isn't a great month for opera and we'll probably go to the Met in NYC later in the year for it anyway, so I'm trying to keep Verona OUT of my thoughts.

If we do the SE thing I thought perhaps we could fly to Heathrow and rent a car there, return it, and make our way to Southampton (the cruise line will provide transfers) or fly in and go to Southampton for the rental and avoid some sort of drop charge (I wonder how much we would actually save).

Anyway, if we do this drive the one place we would want to include that isn't in Cornwall itself might be Salisbury for the cathedral.

We've never been to Cornwall or any of those other southeastern areas like Dorset, southern Wiltshire, etc.

Interests include some of those "great houses" or simply pleasant vistas; perhaps relaxing on or near the ocean somewhere.

It is all kinda disjointed thinking at the moment but I need a plan and direction.

Ask away, please, and provide ideas and direction. All of that will help me refine this and thanks.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Sorry! Sense of direction insane right now. Meant to say some of those south<B>western</B> areas...
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornwall is beautiful - you could easily spend all your free time there. And possibly even catch a play at the Minack theatre - the open air stage perched high on the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic - so not a totally greasepaint-free trip.

I also love St Ives (Tate gallery, Barbara Hepworth, higgeledy piggeldy streets), Falmouth and all the creeks along the Fal estuary, beautiful gardens like Trellisick, fishing villages like Porthleven, and the whole Daphne Du Maurier vibe. Also, tin mines, standing stones and sea water pools.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/494523...57668363185810
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 06:58 AM

Your other option is of course the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh in August.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Winchester Catherdral may be of interest, Wells as well.

Dorset is really a walkers country, the Jurasic path is really nice lots to do and see, right along the coast mainly on cliff tops but with drops into pebbly beaches. Lulworth cove is especially wonderful, there are some cheap little B&Bs/restaurants in the cove and you can eat the local lobster, and watch the stars to the sound of sea crashing outside (I can take about 1 night of this). You might also like the pebble beach to the west of Weymouth which has its own swanery (everyone should have one). Corfe Castle is worth a nod, while local artists are everywhere. Local TI do an arts trail.

Dorset also has lots of pre-roman forts (big earth mounds and the like) with one good one at Dorchester and one at Salisbury. Dorchester also has Poundbury, bits of old Thomas Hardy and the like. A few nice old houses as well.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 07:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dukey, one method, and some might argue the best method of dealing with this would be to drive one way, preferably from S'ton so you miss the grim bit round London, but still see Salisbury and Winchester, and then fly/train back to London [BTW there shouldn't be much of a one-way hire charge if any as you'll still be in England; even though some of us might like Cornwall to be a separate country, it isn't yet].

That might take a night our of the length of your stay in Cornwall but would still leave you with a reasonable length of time here.

The next question of course is where to stay, for which RM67 has set out some great suggestions. Following them up, and thinking of your interests, [art, opera] St Ives seems to obvious choice with the Tate Gallery, Barabara Hepworth, Bernard Leach pottery, and many private galleries plus great restaurants, walking, and easy access to the coast and the Minack. However it does get very busy in season; Penzance might therefore be better [possibly only marginally] and it too is well provided for with hotels, restaurants, the lovely Newlyn School works in the Penlee Gallery, and it's at the end of the train line so very convenient for your return trip.

A third alternative is Falmouth; I love it but it has less to interest arty folks, and is less easy to get to, though there's a lot to see once you're there.

What i think would be more difficult to do would be to combine Cornwall and another part of the southwest as a week is simply too short it all in.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I would like to thank all of you who responded with this very valuable information as well as recommendations. I appreciate this immensely.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
and thank you for the thanks Dukey.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 04:04 AM

Apologies - I just noticed that some of my photos were 'locked'. I have now unlocked them so everything is public.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 04:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 05:05 AM

"August isn't a great month for opera"

It probably isn't great for opera house opera.

But it can be a great time for country house opera. Within an hour or so of Southampton: Glyndebourne, Longborough, Bradford on Avon for example, or some of Bampton's performanmces at Westonbirt.
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Dukey1, your post about plans to visit Corwall prompted us to dig out our photos of the beautiful area. You've gotten a lot of ideas above, and by this time possibly have your plans made.

Just wanted to say that we were amazed at the overall beauty of Cornwall, especially the coast. We had a rental car, and stayed in St. Ives. From there we drove down to Lands' End. . .gorgeous. Also stopped at other little towns like Clovelly, along the coast. You'll find plenty to do and explore.

Sounds like a great prelude to your cruise. We'll be interested in reading all about your trip. Safe and happy travels!