Cortona or Sorrento?

Oct 2nd, 2005, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Cortona or Sorrento?

We're thinking of traveling to one of these areas in May or late Sept. 2006. We're interested in wineries, as well as hotels...we would really appreciate your input.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:00 PM

Justine,

I think it depends on what you like. Sorrento is very touristy with big hotels and lots of (noisy) tourists. But the coast is spectacular and you can travel around the Amalfi Coast, Pompei etc. Cortona is a beautiful hilltop town - small, quiet and beautiful. It's a bit hard to get to by public transport but if you have a car it would be a great base for touring around that part of Tuscany. And there would be lots of wineries in that area. Try Hotel Italia. http://www.cortonaweb.net/eng/index.php

Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM

Like someone mentioned above, the two towns are very different and it depends on what you are looking for. My wife and I spent two nights in Cortona several years ago. It is a beautiful little hill town with few tourists. We stayed at the San Michele, just off the main square. I asked for a room with a view and they put us on the top floor with an amazing view over the valley below -- and if you have never been to a hill town, the description really fits. And like VivaItalia said, you will need a car to get there. You drop off your luggage and then park outside the city walls.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:19 PM

You mention you're interested in wineries so Sorrento wouldn't fill the bill. I loved Sorrento itself but stayed there to visit Pompeii & Herculaneum.

We stayed in Pienza in Tuscany, a very nice town, and drove easily to various hill towns during a week's stay and also into Umbria. I felt it was centrally located. There are so many wineries in the area altho' we didn't stop at them as that was not our interest. In Pienza we rented an apartment which, in my opinion, is much more comfortable and more reasonably priced.

If you'd like some suggestions on my stay in Pienza, please e-mail at [email protected]
Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:49 PM

actuallt there is a huge winery in the ssorento area. its mastroberardino in atripaldia italia. they make both red and white wines from grapes grown on the slopes of vesuvio. the wines are so some renown