Cortona

Jul 25th, 2001, 11:16 AM
rob

Cortona

How easy is it to get from Cortona's train station, which I think is at Camucia, to the town itself? Is there a bus? How frequently does it run? Is there a taxi?

Any comments on the Hotel Italia?

Also, any general comments on the town would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jul 25th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Graziella

hi Rob,I love Cortona, only point againts it is that may be too many of us go there, so you tend to see more tourists than in some other little towns in the general area.
I do not know about the train because I have always driven there, I can recommend the Trattoria La grotta, it is excellent. There are several good restaurants, and I like the St Michele Hotel where we always stay.Lately however I noticed they have risen the rates.....as I told you, too many of us...
Cortona is a little jewel , do not miss Le Celle nearby....good luck.
PS I can guess, only guess ,that it is not ideal to get there from the train station...Cortona as you know is up , up...the hill...Ok...have a great stay in Cortona.

Jul 25th, 2001, 08:24 PM
Holly

Yes, the nearest train station is in Camucia, about a mile or so down the hill. There are buses that run up and down. Buy your ticket at the tabacchi right outside the station. Don't know the schedule; bus arrived shortly after the train pulled in. But the buses don't run on Sundays - at least they didn't four years ago; may have changed since Ms. Mayes published her books. And yes, there are taxis available.

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:09 PM
topsy

for mention fo cortona

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:11 PM
Capo

Thanks, topsy! So Cortona's a little jewel, eh? Thanks, Graziella.