Reload this Page >

Corsica and Sardinia : Let's try this one more time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Patrick

I have done a search and all the posts on Corsica and Sardinia seem to dead end without much specific information. We'd like to spend about a week each seeing those two islands, going with car by ferry from Nice to Corsica, then ending by taking the ferry from Cagliari to Palermo. We don't want a resort loction or a scenic remote hotel, no matter how picturesque, and we aren't into the beach thing. We're more interested in staying a night or two in a number of towns or cities, in the old city, along the harbor, or wherever it is fairly busy and picturesque with lots of casual dining, etc. Anyone with good suggestions for nice hotels (probably 3 or 4 star) and suggestions for best places to visit? This will probably happen in August. I suppose September would be nicer, but that would mean reversing our trip and being in the Lakes region in August. We think we'd rather be in the Lakes region in September --right?

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Santa Chiara

Patrick, you probably haven't received any responses to your query because I think both Sardegna and Corsica are very much an Italian thing (and French also in the case of Corsica). I would recommend consulting some good guidebooks (gasp, even Lonely Planet), because neither of these places, I believe, are very heavily visited by Americans. Having said that, both places are *very* popular with Italians, especially, of course, in August and September. If later in September, you may be okay. Otherwise, I would probably advise against it in September. Ferrogosta doesn't really end until mid-September, despite what anyone says. <BR> <BR>My hairdresser, for instance, works in Sardegna during the tourist season. That means I don't see his bronzed skin until late September/early October. By that time, my hair is ready for Hallowe'en. <BR> <BR>Having said all of that, and having read your previous postings, I would recommend holding out for Sardegna and Corisca, you can always go to the lakes. You can't visit the Italian scene, however, just any ol' time.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 02:25 PM
kam

Sardinia is the favorite beach resort of our Italian cousins. Grand beach hotels, lots of sun, mostly Italians, interesting food. But, if you don't want the beach thing I don't think you'd be happy there. I think you will find more of interest in Sicily where you can easily spend the extra time exploring little towns. Can't help with Corsica, however.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Jan

Hi Patrick, I have been to Corsica a couple of times and enjoyed it very much. I guess if you are getting the car ferry from Nice you will be arriving at either Calvi or Ile Rousse both interesting places and both worth a couple of days, (do visit the citidel at Calvi). I stayed in Ile Rousse at the hotel Funtana Marina, certainly not four star, but reasonable rooms with a nice pool overlooking the town of Ile Rousse, you could check it out on the michelin site at www.michelin-travel.com plus there are a few listings there for Calvi.A side trip from either place couldbethe area of La Balagne. Other places I visited from Ile Rousse were St. Florent and the old city of Corte both worth the journey IMHO. While we are on journey times what looks like a short distance on the map can in fact take an age to drive due to the twisty and sometimes narrow roads, in a week you will only get to see a small part of the island. A hint, the coastal road from Calvi to Porto is not for the faint hearted! <BR>My second trip to the island was to Campo Morro on the bay of Propriano, Propriano was quite a busy place I remember with lots of bars and fish restaurants, I can't help with hotels here I am afraid, as I stayed in a rented villa. Side trips from this area include the Neolithic site at Filitosa, Sartene, a lovely old corsican town, Bonifacio and the hightlight for me the Col de Bavella, the view from there is wonderful. As previous posters have said August will be busy so I would definitely pre-book hotels. <BR>I have also visited Sardinia but at the risk of offending others I have to say I did not like it. I think I expected an italian version of Corsica but it was nothing like that at all the scenery IMO is not as nice, it is certainly a lot drier and not as green as Corsica. The best day of the holiday was when I took the ferry from Sardinia to Bonifacio.If I can help further please ask, do try and visit Corsica its not called the Ile de Beaute for nothing.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 09:18 AM
kathryn

My visits to Corsica and Sardinia were 20 years ago, but for what it's worth, I agree with Jan. I remember Corsica as one of my favorite places to visit--it was a land of contrasts; the coast reminded me of Carmel/Monterey in California. I would love to return there someday. On the other hand,I remember Sardinia as being ok, but dry and rather monotonous. Don't think I'd be tempted to return there! <BR> <BR>Kathryn