Reload this Page >

Please help mom and daughter!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 06:45 AM
A.Franklin

I will travel to Italy in off season with 8 year old daughter. Would like to use trains. I do not speak Italian. Rome/Naple/Pompeii/Sorrento, any advice on train travel and ticket buying and where to stay would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Rex

Your request for advice is a little broad, Ms. Franklin, but I recommend the following: <BR> <BR>1. Buy a good Rome book and the Eyewitness guide for Naples, etc to plan your activities. <BR> <BR>2. Take a look at the hotel listings here on fodors.com, timeout.com, twenj.com and hotelitaly.com to get a sense of what you get for the amount you can afford to spend. I recommend the Cesari, but you are not me. The length of your trip will influence how many different places you should choose to "base" yourselves. Perhaps just two. Sorrento might be a good choice, but others more experienced with alternative locations will undoubtedly have additional advice. In your situation, proximity to where you can use the Circumvesuviana might be good. <BR> <BR>3. You do not speak Italian YET. Tackle this head on, together with your daughter. You don't say "which" off season you are traveling (between now and Memorial Day? or after mid-September?) - - but make a six week (or longer) plan for yourselves. At age 8, it is pretty realistic that she can and will learn 25-50 words a week if you spend 30-45 minutes 3 times a week. Your own retention goal might be lower (this is not a putdown - - I am serious). The trains are not hard to use for the (appropriately) small amount of travel you are aiming to do (you're not trying to criss-cross the country seven times, headed for obscure places). The website www.fs-on-line.com will let you know the timetable and fares to expect. <BR> <BR>4. Come back here often with more questions. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Judy

Hello A. How long are you staying? And how much do you want to spend? I can only do Rome, but would be glad to help in any way if possible. Look up "hotels in Rome" on this "search" function of the Forum....and all kinds of wonderful info should pop up! Also do a search for "trains in Italy". I hope you have a wonderful time with your daughter(that is a nice age). <BR>Judy

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Rex

Oh geez! I just saw that you are offering advice to another questioner as if you have been to Campania (at least once) before. <BR> <BR>So my answer may have been way too elementary. What kind of advice are you seeking? How to physically buy train tickets? Buy them there. Is it simply worry about communicating with the ticket sellers? <BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 08:46 AM
A.Franlin

reply to Rex. i appreciate all your advice, I was in Campania as a 10 year old with a tour. I have read alot of guide books so I know about their advice of the convience of Sorrento, that was my only advice, I truely want advice from recent travels especially because of my daughter, her safety is the utmost importance to me. I also know that no book can tell it like a person answering a specific question. Many thanks for your advice.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 10:38 AM
frank

traveltip:Ticket sellers in bus & train stations rarely speak English but travel agents do.Not sure of the situation in Italy but buying train tickets there probably won't cost more. <BR>Most ticket sellers are helpful enough to allow you to struggle though with the help of a phrasebook. <BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 07:54 PM

to the top <BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 07:40 AM
sghosh

I suggest getting some language tapes and playing with them. You won't learn Italian, but every little bit helps. Ticket sellers in Italy did not seem to speak anything but Italian, but were reasonably patient with my awful, halting attempts. <BR>The train schedules look very intimidating, but once you are used to them they are actually fairly easy to read. Be patient, and don't panic. Train station staff were really very helpful, in my experience. <BR>I had no trouble traveling on Italian trains with my son, in fact we enjoyed it immensely. The only caveat is this: don't pack more than you can comfortably carry.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 09:24 AM
pam

RE: your safety concerns <BR>As a mom who traveled to Italy w/ 10 y/o son, here are my own child-safety tips, and nothing I do differently from traveling in my own country: safety pin a card inside her pocket with your hotel name, address and phone number; you carry her passport; teach her what to do if you get separated (our rule is stay put and I'll find you); feel free to scream in public if necessary (practice at home; "help" in Italian is "aiuto" (I-OO-TOH)); and our cardinal rule: no hiding from Mom. <BR> <BR>I heartily agree w/ Rex on studying Italian in prep for your trip. Learn at least the numbers, hello/good day, thank you, in Italian. Both of you.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 09:54 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>Let me suggest that you mention how long your trip will be, when, and what your budget is like and/or preferences in hotels like elevators, air conditioning, shower or tub, etc. <BR>Many experts on that area of Italy <BR>(not I) would find it easier to make more specific suggestions. <BR>Regarding safety of your personal belongings, I have never been a crime victim while traveling and I don't use fanny packs or money belts or hidden wallets, never have. I use a totebag with internal zippered compartments, and I carry it over my shoulder and close to my body, with my arm over it. Despite the way it sounds, it is entirely comfortable. <BR>On the plane, the tote bag is my combination carry-on and purse. While traveling, different things go in it and it is my daily purse. When I leave a sales counter where I've just used my wallet, I take an extra few seconds to put my money away and put my wallet deep inside my tote bag. I live in a large city, I don't know if you do, and perhaps those of us who do are unfortunately more used to daily caution and awareness of our surroundings, developing more of a 6th sense, but without walking around feeling scared or paranoid. I think people should take whatever precautions they feel are necessary for their well being and enjoyment, particularly when you have the concerns and distractions of a child with you. <BR>for information on the Italian rail system: <BR>www.itwg.com/trains/trains.asp <BR>www.fs-on-line.com/ <BR>www.railsaver.com <BR>You will need to know the Italian spellings of your cities (Roma, Napoli, etc) <BR>Seat reservations are recommended on busy routes at busy times, and are required on some of the trains. <BR>In Italy, purchase your ticket as soon as you know your departure time. Don't wait until the morning of departure, especially if you plan to catch a Eurostar Italia (ES), EuroCity (EC) or InterCity (IC), as these trains fill up quickly. This rule also applies to railpass holders. Be sure to bring cable locks because the luggage rack at the end of your car may be far from your seat.Some trains also have separate cars for large luggage. <BR>When using individual train tickets, make sure you stamp your ticket before you enter the quai area to board the train, using any one of the convenient machines. Always check the ticket to make sure it got stamped. You are liable for a fine if you board the train without a stamped ticket. <BR>Good luck <BR> <BR> <BR>