Coronavirus - France

Search

Coronavirus - France

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coronavirus - France

For those of us who have upcoming trips to France and are engaged in watchful waiting before deciding whether or not to go, here are interesting articles from Forbes magazine about the current situation in France.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarat.../#6b027c57177e

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarat.../#1290f9895cc3

I really, really don't want to cancel our April-May trip but will follow the news carefully and try to make a rational decision in a couple of weeks.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 09:49 AM

Thank you for those links. We also have a trip to France planned during the same time. It includes Corsica and several different airlines. Besides worrying about the virus itself and even the closure of museums and other sites, we also worry about getting stranded somewhere like Corsica. Some airlines are cancelling trips simply because of a light passenger load. ×
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 10:00 AM

I canceled my spring 3 month trip to Paris with regret but no hesitation on the basis of my advanced age (80 plus) and susceptibility to upper respiratory problems. I'm glad I did. I was worried less about the Coronavirus than the normal seasonal flu then epidemic in France and the side issues of a Corona epidemic, closures, hospitalization with no insurance and quarantines among others.

Fortunately for others wondering about travel to France, there are excellent sources of information as those above allowing travelers to make wise decisions based on their circumstances.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 10:41 AM

Your best source of up to date information is France24 news

https://www.france24.com/en/france/
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 11:36 AM

I had planned to go to France next Fall, and I am in waiting mode to decide about that. Luckily, I haven't booked the flight yet, although I do have the accomodations booked.

I am supposed to be travelling across the country (Canada) in May with my 86 year old Father, and I am starting to question whether we should do that or not.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 11:39 PM

I think you should keep a watch on how situation is emerging in Canada as most of the cases are from Ontario and Brittish Columbia, so you must avoid these two provinces atleast,
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by alluring4
I think you should keep a watch on how situation is emerging in Canada as most of the cases are from Ontario and Brittish Columbia, so you must avoid these two provinces at least,
The trip is to Toronto. Yes, I am keeping a close eye on the situation and will postpone if necessary.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 05:58 AM

We’ve got a short eight day trip to Paris scheduled for end of April/beginning of May.

Last weekend France had 95 cases, this morning it’s 377, the newest hot spot is the Morbihan region in Brittany.

Odds are we’ll not be going, and absorb the plane tickets.

Neither one of us are the the type to push the panic button, nor are we cavalier with our heads in the sand.

There is a lot to consider, not the least of which is my mother is 92. If we do go, we’ll be out and about in the crowds every day, and as a precaution, I wouldn’t see her for a quarantine period after we got home. Better safe than take even a minimal risk with her health.

We’re waiting and watching, and starting to think of driving trips in our Province.

Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:04 AM

We are 4 travelers - 65 to 78. Have booked everything for this May trip - some nonrefundable, (some AIRBNBs require final payment in April) some partially refundable, some refundable. Talked with Delta this week and they are allowing reservation changes to some countries without a fee for travel through April 30. Will be watching to see what they do for relief, if any, from fees for May France travel. Our tickets were nonrefundable (and over $8,000 for my wife and me). Not for Delta to make our final decision but one more factor - if travel a tossup - to consider.

Last edited by Philip; Mar 5th, 2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Well, nobody here has a crystal ball. Conditions are still quite acceptable in France (particularly compared to Italy or Iran), but it is highly likely that things will continue to deteriorate.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by pgtraveler
The trip is to Toronto. Yes, I am keeping a close eye on the situation and will postpone if necessary.
I think we have 12 cases in Toronto, about 35 in the country, with the latest presumptive case in Quebec.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:36 AM
twk

Originally Posted by kerouac
Well, nobody here has a crystal ball. Conditions are still quite acceptable in France (particularly compared to Italy or Iran), but it is highly likely that things will continue to deteriorate.
Short term, quite likely, But everything I've read indicates that the virus can't survive in warm temperatures, so it should start slowing down as temperatures rise. That might not be soon enough to keep from impacting Spring travel plans, but I feel pretty confident about my planned trip to Normandy and Provence in July.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 10:28 AM

My husband and I are supposed to go to Paris Thursday...I'm really having a hard time deciding if we should be doing this. Right now, our plan is to go. We are both 47 and in good health. We were supposed to take this trip last November, but I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April (I originally bought tickets last January) and my mother passed away in November--so we have REALLY been looking forward to this getaway. It feels a little surreal that it might get disrupted again.

If France raises the alert level to 3, then I suppose the airline aspect of it might get changed and then I have no choice. As it is, my tickets fall outside of the grace period American Airlines is offering (I purchased them before March 1). I think I would lose my hotel costs, as my booking was originally nonchangeable and the hotel was gracious enough to allow us to change the dates.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 10:42 AM

Traveling with a mask is no fun. Tourists look dorky enough with their money belts, maps, and fanny packs. Let alone a surgical mask.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 10:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
So come to Paris. For the moment, everything is open and maybe even less crowded. Next month, who knows? There are very few cases of Covid-19 in Paris itself right now -- almost all cases are in provincial areas.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:02 PM

We are flying to France on April 10 via American Airlines (operated by British Air). I called American this afternoon to ask about cancellations or re-scheduling. This is what the agent told me:
If CDC issues a Level 3 travel alert for France, we will get a full refund because then AA would cancel their flights.
If CDC issues a Level 2 travel alert for France, we can reschedule and they will waive the change fee.
The agent told me NOT to cancel now in case CDC issues a level 2 or 3 alert for France. If I were to cancel now, we would lose all of our money.
I had no intentions of canceling now, but called them to clarify the refund issue.
My attitude all along has been to wait and see. Not sure if this info helps anyone, but thought I would share it.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:34 PM

Did you ask what would happen if the CDC issued a Level 3 or 2 while you were in France??

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:45 PM

Stu, good point! I didn't think to ask because I've been more concerned about whether or not to cancel and about refunds. When I have the energy, I will call them back and ask that question. I'm exhausted from thinking about this. I need a glass of wine!
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got an email from Air France offering flights at what looked like half the lowest usual fares to Paris, and they were in fact round trip fares. If it weren't for the virus and my aged body's risk factor, I'd snap up tickets immediately. But, I'm a coward about ending up on a respirator.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 02:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
May 22 is our flight, we are just waiting it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -