Notices

Coronavirus - France

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 08:28 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,567
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coronavirus - France

For those of us who have upcoming trips to France and are engaged in watchful waiting before deciding whether or not to go, here are interesting articles from Forbes magazine about the current situation in France.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarat.../#6b027c57177e

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarat.../#1290f9895cc3

I really, really don't want to cancel our April-May trip but will follow the news carefully and try to make a rational decision in a couple of weeks.
MaineGG is offline  
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 09:49 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for those links. We also have a trip to France planned during the same time. It includes Corsica and several different airlines. Besides worrying about the virus itself and even the closure of museums and other sites, we also worry about getting stranded somewhere like Corsica. Some airlines are cancelling trips simply because of a light passenger load. ×
whitehall is offline  
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 10:00 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 584
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I canceled my spring 3 month trip to Paris with regret but no hesitation on the basis of my advanced age (80 plus) and susceptibility to upper respiratory problems. I'm glad I did. I was worried less about the Coronavirus than the normal seasonal flu then epidemic in France and the side issues of a Corona epidemic, closures, hospitalization with no insurance and quarantines among others.

Fortunately for others wondering about travel to France, there are excellent sources of information as those above allowing travelers to make wise decisions based on their circumstances.
Envierges is offline  
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 10:41 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 476
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your best source of up to date information is France24 news

https://www.france24.com/en/france/
cheska15 is online now  
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 11:36 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 90
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had planned to go to France next Fall, and I am in waiting mode to decide about that. Luckily, I haven't booked the flight yet, although I do have the accomodations booked.

I am supposed to be travelling across the country (Canada) in May with my 86 year old Father, and I am starting to question whether we should do that or not.
pgtraveler is offline  
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 11:39 PM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you should keep a watch on how situation is emerging in Canada as most of the cases are from Ontario and Brittish Columbia, so you must avoid these two provinces atleast,
alluring4 is offline  
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 04:37 AM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 90
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alluring4 View Post
I think you should keep a watch on how situation is emerging in Canada as most of the cases are from Ontario and Brittish Columbia, so you must avoid these two provinces at least,
The trip is to Toronto. Yes, I am keeping a close eye on the situation and will postpone if necessary.
pgtraveler is offline  
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 05:58 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We’ve got a short eight day trip to Paris scheduled for end of April/beginning of May.

Last weekend France had 95 cases, this morning it’s 377, the newest hot spot is the Morbihan region in Brittany.

Odds are we’ll not be going, and absorb the plane tickets.

Neither one of us are the the type to push the panic button, nor are we cavalier with our heads in the sand.

There is a lot to consider, not the least of which is my mother is 92. If we do go, we’ll be out and about in the crowds every day, and as a precaution, I wouldn’t see her for a quarantine period after we got home. Better safe than take even a minimal risk with her health.

We’re waiting and watching, and starting to think of driving trips in our Province.

sugarmaple is offline  
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:04 AM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are 4 travelers - 65 to 78. Have booked everything for this May trip - some nonrefundable, (some AIRBNBs require final payment in April) some partially refundable, some refundable. Talked with Delta this week and they are allowing reservation changes to some countries without a fee for travel through April 30. Will be watching to see what they do for relief, if any, from fees for May France travel. Our tickets were nonrefundable (and over $8,000 for my wife and me). Not for Delta to make our final decision but one more factor - if travel a tossup - to consider.

Last edited by Philip; Mar 5th, 2020 at 06:06 AM.
Philip is offline  
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:19 AM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 22,359
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Well, nobody here has a crystal ball. Conditions are still quite acceptable in France (particularly compared to Italy or Iran), but it is highly likely that things will continue to deteriorate.
kerouac is offline  
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:36 AM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgtraveler View Post
The trip is to Toronto. Yes, I am keeping a close eye on the situation and will postpone if necessary.
I think we have 12 cases in Toronto, about 35 in the country, with the latest presumptive case in Quebec.
sugarmaple is offline  
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:36 AM
  #12  
twk
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kerouac View Post
Well, nobody here has a crystal ball. Conditions are still quite acceptable in France (particularly compared to Italy or Iran), but it is highly likely that things will continue to deteriorate.
Short term, quite likely, But everything I've read indicates that the virus can't survive in warm temperatures, so it should start slowing down as temperatures rise. That might not be soon enough to keep from impacting Spring travel plans, but I feel pretty confident about my planned trip to Normandy and Provence in July.
twk is offline  
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 10:28 AM
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband and I are supposed to go to Paris Thursday...I'm really having a hard time deciding if we should be doing this. Right now, our plan is to go. We are both 47 and in good health. We were supposed to take this trip last November, but I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April (I originally bought tickets last January) and my mother passed away in November--so we have REALLY been looking forward to this getaway. It feels a little surreal that it might get disrupted again.

If France raises the alert level to 3, then I suppose the airline aspect of it might get changed and then I have no choice. As it is, my tickets fall outside of the grace period American Airlines is offering (I purchased them before March 1). I think I would lose my hotel costs, as my booking was originally nonchangeable and the hotel was gracious enough to allow us to change the dates.
CandiLea is offline  
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 10:42 AM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling with a mask is no fun. Tourists look dorky enough with their money belts, maps, and fanny packs. Let alone a surgical mask.
loacker_thegreat is offline  
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 10:42 AM
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 22,359
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
So come to Paris. For the moment, everything is open and maybe even less crowded. Next month, who knows? There are very few cases of Covid-19 in Paris itself right now -- almost all cases are in provincial areas.
kerouac is offline  
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:02 PM
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are flying to France on April 10 via American Airlines (operated by British Air). I called American this afternoon to ask about cancellations or re-scheduling. This is what the agent told me:
If CDC issues a Level 3 travel alert for France, we will get a full refund because then AA would cancel their flights.
If CDC issues a Level 2 travel alert for France, we can reschedule and they will waive the change fee.
The agent told me NOT to cancel now in case CDC issues a level 2 or 3 alert for France. If I were to cancel now, we would lose all of our money.
I had no intentions of canceling now, but called them to clarify the refund issue.
My attitude all along has been to wait and see. Not sure if this info helps anyone, but thought I would share it.
KarenWoo is offline  
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:34 PM
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 15,289
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ask what would happen if the CDC issued a Level 3 or 2 while you were in France??

Stu Dudley
StuDudley is offline  
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:45 PM
  #18  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stu, good point! I didn't think to ask because I've been more concerned about whether or not to cancel and about refunds. When I have the energy, I will call them back and ask that question. I'm exhausted from thinking about this. I need a glass of wine!
KarenWoo is offline  
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:59 PM
  #19  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,721
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got an email from Air France offering flights at what looked like half the lowest usual fares to Paris, and they were in fact round trip fares. If it weren't for the virus and my aged body's risk factor, I'd snap up tickets immediately. But, I'm a coward about ending up on a respirator.
AJPeabody is offline  
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 02:21 PM
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,088
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
May 22 is our flight, we are just waiting it out.
Macross is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO