Cornwall in November

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Robbyn

Cornwall in November

We are going to be in London over Thanksgiving and will be spending a few days in Bournmouth. We wanted to take a day and drive down towards Cornwall. I know we won't be able to go all the way to Land's End but maybe we can get part of the way.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew if there would be much open during that time of the year. I was also wondering what neat towns there are between Bournemouth and say...Plymouth.

Thanks for any help,
Robbyn

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:57 PM
Tom

There were answers on you first thread - Look for it.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Davidx

Exeter is a lovely city with a terrific cathedral for somewhere on your way.
You would do well to get down to St Austell or Mevagissey if you like gardens and visit either the Eden Project or The Lost Gardens of Heligan or both. (both have websites which you should find on any decent search engine.)

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Linda

If you REALLY wanted to do Land's End, you probably could. You would spend most of the day in the car--almost all of it as a matter of fact (I estimate 10 hours round trip), sticking to motorways as much as possible. Most would not recommend it, and I'm not sure that I would. However, when I lived in Britain, one of the "must do" places on my list was Land's End. I think I had drempt of seeing it since I first heard of its existence when I was a child, so I made sure I went. It's not particularly awe inspiring, nor beautiful, though it does have some wonderful scenic views, especially if the sea is rough. It's remote and a bit touristy, with almost nothing to commend it except for the fact it is Land's End. But now I can say I was truly there and it is a memory I will have always. For centuries, Land's End was the fountain of many dreams, and that gave it a mystique all its own. Are you like I was? If so, I say, "Go for it." Having said that, there are many, many wonderful places to visit that are much closer: Torquay, Exmouth, Dorchester, and, of course, Plymouth itself. (If I remember correctly, I believe Pocahontas is buried there? Though I may be incorrect in that fact. Does anybody else know?)

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 08:49 PM
julie

Husband, friends and myself toured Cornwall last Nov and had a FAB time. Of course,the weather may disapoint, but that's England. We trained to Penzance (during some of the worst flooding of the century) and stayed in a little B&B, toured locally on their little busses. Found the people very warm and hospitable, the climate "bracing", and the food very good, especially the beef, even tho eating it may be chancy now. have fun.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:51 AM
Gabi

I just returned from a week in Devon and Cornwall and found everywhere to be wonderful. You may want to consider Devon if you don't want to drive all the way. If so, consider Beer (on the south coast) and the twin villages of Lynton and Lynmouth on the north coast (truly reminiscent of Switzerland!).
As far as Cornwall is concerned, our favorite spot was Port Isaac, a tiny little picturesque village perched on a cliff overlooking the harbour. We skimmed through the touristy areas but Tintagel is interesting if you can ignore all the souvenir shops...King Arthur's castle and beautiful coastal walks.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:51 PM
sandy

We were in southern England in April and Cornwall was sort of "off limits," because of foot and mouth disease. In addition, we only had a week and didn't want to skimp on our time there, as it has been a dream of ours to tour Devon and Cornwall in our usual leisurely way. What we did instead was to visit Chichester, a lively market town with a nice cathedral and interesting shops; Winchester, another great cathedral town; and Salisbury, which, in addition to the great cathedral, is the site of Old Sarum -- a very very ancient site. We also went to Bath, visiting Stonehenge along the way, although we like Avebury better for the standing stones.

The South of England is quite lovely, although I suppose it will be rather dreary in November. If you go th Bath, and if you have lots of money, be sure to stay at Lucknam Park, a gorgeous Relais & Chateaux hotel. Wow.