Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CORNWALL, ENGLAND, A DAY OR OVERNIGHT TRIP?

Oct 16th, 1997, 10:29 AM
ANN

WHILE IN LONDON I'D LIKE TO VISIT CORNWALL. HOW LONG IS THE TRAIN RIDE, AND WHAT STATION IS THE GETTING OFF POINT? ACCOMMODATION SUGGESTIONS THERE? THANKS!

Oct 16th, 1997, 02:34 PM
Ben Haiines

Detail is in table 113 of the Thomas Cook Europeasn Timetable, probably available in the reference library of a large city near you. From Monday to Frday a sleeping car express is ready at Waterloo station in London from 2300 (eleven), and leaves at 2350. It reaches Truro at 0724, stops at ten minute intervals along the coast, and ends at Penzance at 0820. The sleeper back leaves Penzance at 2200 (ten) and arrives at Waterloo at 0505: you can stay in bed till seven or seven thirty.

Day trains leave London Paddington at 0745 (0845 on Sundays) and arrive at Truro at 1235: others leave on weekdays at 0550 and 1035 or 1045. Trains back leave Truro on weekdays at 1712 and arrive at Paddington at 2200: there's a Sunday train at 1757 from Truro. In my view five hours is not enough time: I'd take the sleeper (which is comfortable) both ways. I'd stay on the westbound sleeper right up to Penzance, to enjoy the good views of the sea.

You can cut cost by buying an Apex or Saver ticket: detail in British office hours on 0044 345 484950. They will tell you, too, how to book by credit card from the US, and pick up your ticket at Waterloo.

As to accomodation, you can write now to the Tourust Information offices at Truro and Penzance, and ask them to mail you a list. The post office cwill deliver: you do not need a street address. Of course, if you arrive in the morning you can call at the tourist office in either place at nine or ten, and book a room then and there
Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to Britain.

Ben Haines

Oct 16th, 1997, 09:54 PM
ANN

TO BEN HAINES; WHAT A STOREHOUSE OF KNOWLEDGE YOU
PROVIDED ME!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Oct 17th, 1997, 02:48 AM
joelle

To sum up, Cornwall is a great place but it is quite far away from London. You should reckon staying there three or four days and not an overnight stay, should you like to really discover this area.

Oct 17th, 1997, 06:52 AM
Mackay

My husband and I are going to Cornwall in March and staying for 2 nights because there seems to be a lot to do. We are driving via Bath and stopping there for a few hours also. We found a nice B&B called the Tintagel Arms, I believe it is about 17 pounds per person ($20). My husbands family lives in England so we have a little inside information on hotels and such. Enjoy youselves!

Oct 26th, 1997, 01:31 PM
Susan

Cornwall is worth a visit, to be sure. However you might wish to rent a car to get around. There are many picturesque small fishing village that are not well served by frequent bus or coaches. If you are a fan of real ale, consider staying in the center of Cornwall in Lostwithiel at the Royal Oak. This pub keeps several excellent hand-pulled ales. Try anything by Bill Sharpe!