handicap travel in Europe

Sep 17th, 1997, 07:10 AM
Pat Crosby

handicap travel in Europe

I want to travel to Europe with my mother who has osteopeorosis and is limited in her mobility. Are there particular destinations which are more accomodating for traveling with someone who is confined to a wheelchair? Do most public places accomodate? Any info would be helpful as I plan our trip. I am most interested in going to England.

Sep 17th, 1997, 09:10 PM
Tricia

Pat, Out of Frommer's Travel Europe, page 15 are some tips for travelers with special needs although he lists many more and specifically recommends booking a tour with company's that specialize in such, but here are some to get you started:TRAVEL INFORMATION SERVICES 215/456-9603, you can obtain a copy of AIR TRANSPORTATION OF HANDICAPPED PERSONS,free by writing to Free Advisotry Circular No. AC12032, Dist.Unit, U.. Dept of Transportation, Publ. Division, M4332, Wash D.C. 20590. Another one that is not a tour and sounded good was Mobility International USA, it answers ques on various destinations and offrs discounts on the videos, publications and programs it sponsors 541/343-1284, they also have a ph number for travel agents that specialize in worldwide travel for the disabled.(however the list costs $29) let me know if you want that number or tour group numbers. T

Sep 17th, 1997, 09:12 PM
Tricia

oops, the costs of that list is $19 plus shipping

Sep 17th, 1997, 09:54 PM
audrey

Another neat website is www.access.able.com. Click on the main heading in "blue" and then you can click on the country you want. From there it will give you access to handicapped access to airports, transportation, accomodations, eqip/medical, tours and adventures applicable to wheelchair access. Also if you are interested in a company that makes comfy jeans for wheelchair bound it is www.coast-resources.com/ultimate

Oct 26th, 1997, 02:04 PM
Tricia

Sending up to 10/26 for similar question