Search

Cornwall at the end of October and early November

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2017, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornwall at the end of October and early November

Hello:

We are planning to visit the UK from October 29 to November 4. We are interested in visiting the Cornwall area. Our dates are fixed (originally traveling to London for business which has since been canceled).

Is this too late in the season for Cornwall? Not sure if locations such as St. Michael's Mount will be open. We are interested in photography so would like fair weather. We do not mind cool weather (actually prefer it). We would rent a flat or cottage and drive from place to place.

Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 01:46 AM

I'm not sure why you think St. Michael's Mount wouldn't be "open," as it's a natural site. Everything will be open. People live in Cornwall; it's not a museum. Can't say what the weather will be like. We were there for 10 days last May and it was gorgeous, but you'll have to take what you get, no?
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 01:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
No way I can tell you what the weather will be like then - you could get 4-5 days of glorious clear skies or the same of rain, or a mix of both.

to check opening times of places like St M's Mount, the NT website is useful:

https://www.stmichaelsmount.co.uk/pl...ing-days-times

unfortunately the NT part of the Mount will be closed by then but you would still be able to walk across at low tide, taking great care to ensure that you didn't get stuck over there!

Of course all the beaches will be open as well as most of the NT and other gardens. However Cornwall is not renowned for autumn colour.

Don't think I'm not encouraging you to come, but it pays to be realistic. Wherever you go at that time of year in the UK you will risk having bad weather so to that extent, Cornwall is no different to the rest of the country.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

It looks like we can walk across to St. Michael's Mount, but the boats are not running which is fine as we prefer to walk. I cannot tell if we can walk up to view to the outside though as the gardens will be closed.

Regarding the weather, as long as it is not drenching rain all day, we are happy. We were in the Lake District in May and worked around the weather (sunny then rainy then sunny again). We only had one day that it rained all day.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 05:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Regarding the weather, as long as it is not drenching rain all day, we are happy.<<

There is no way to tell what the weather will be. Cold be glorious -- or could be drenching all day. Or could be both. But the good thing is at that time of year you won't need to book ahead so you can go where the weather takes you.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:21 AM

It looks like we can walk across to St. Michael's Mount, but the boats are not running which is fine as we prefer to walk. I cannot tell if we can walk up to view to the outside though as the gardens will be closed. >>

indeed you can, but you must be aware of the times of the tides so that you do not get cut off; the tide comes in extremely quickly and if you don't leave enough time to get back, you might end up paddling or worse.

You can get a very good view of the Mount from the beach and the causeway, and when you have walked across, you can explore the very tiny village and harbour. The gardens and castle will be closed but you could probably get some pretty good pics of the outside. Bringing a mac and wellies would be sensible.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL, Ann! Will those macs and wellies fit in somebody's carry-on ONLY luggage?
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 08:15 AM

Try to make it to St Ives, the light is magical.

Mousehole is also photogenic, as is Kynance cove.

Ann will know, what's the NT town down a hill with a tower on the quayside? It looks incredible in a storm.

Some of the creeks between Falmouth and Truro and also around Helston are worth a visit. We love Port Navaas.

The way the British weather is at the moment , there are no certainties.

It is towards the end of the Atlantic hurricane season, so you should avoid the remains of one of those presents which America sends us each Autumn.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 08:56 AM

LOL, Ann! Will those macs and wellies fit in somebody's carry-on ONLY luggage?>>

They could wear them to travel, Dukey, and hope that we aren't having a heat wave.

<<Ann will know, what's the NT town down a hill with a tower on the quayside? It looks incredible in a storm. >>

Dickie - it's Porthleven:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=po...iw=910&bih=423
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 09:45 AM

I have traveled with my packable Hunters boots, basically a wellie. They are advertised as packable because you can fold them in half...big deal. They are heavy, but if traveling that time of year I would not hesitate to just wear them. Very comfy. Mine are black patent but even the regular ones are fashionable enough to wear almost anywhere. Now I'm not too sure about macs, but packable rainproof gear is easy peasy.

There's a great little bakery in Mousehole with some of the best scones and homemade jam.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Very helpful! We will leave the hurricanes at home and looking forward to some cooler weather as it's been about 90 degrees for the past 2 weeks in Ohio when it is normally in the 60's
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Katie, I know that our weather can be unpredictable but I can more or less guarantee that we won't have temperatures of 90 F at the end of October.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I apologize for offending the obviously more fashion forward travelers who suddenly showed up on this thread. I cannot wait to see you in an airport near me.