Cornwall and Early Spring Gardens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am a garden tourer and musical lover and find myself with purchased air flight and Sweeney Todd tickets (Michael Ball!) for this coming week. My plan is to be in London for one or two nights starting March 28th, and then I'll be renting a car and heading west to Cornwall to see what gardens I can see; flight back is April 2nd. I have done similar trips to the Cotswolds and Kent in the past -- I love to wander about, and don't mind traveling solo. This time of year may not be the traditional garden-touring time, but trees and spring bulbs excite me just as much as perennial displays, in fact, the trees/shrubs/garden design/backbones are more important than flashy color!

Anyone who knows Cornwall have recommendations for me? Gardens (mature trees and/or spring bulbs) that are must-sees? Also, any reasonably priced places to stay? It might be nice to find a central location where I can stay for more than one night convenient to a number of the gardens.

Thank you!
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
OK - great timing!

you will be arriving in Cornwall not only when all the daffs and camellias are out, as well as some of the tulips and other spring flowers, but also in time for the cornwall Garden society's annual show at Boconnoc on sat 31st March and sun 1st April:

http://cornwallgardensociety.org.uk/...ower-show-201/

most of the great gardens are further west of boconnoc though both Mount Edgecombe and Anthony [both near Plymouth] are in the east of the county.

my favourites, not any particular order, are:

Trewithen, [just west of St. Austell]

Trelissick [near-ish to Falmouth]

Glendurgan and Trebah [both on the Helford]

Trengwainton [near Penzance] and

The lost Gardens of Heligan [not really near anywhere, but nearest to St. Austell].

there are loads more but those are the major ones.

Here is an interactive map which might prove useful:

http://www.gardensincornwall.co.uk/i...=display&pid=1

as for accommodation, it depends what you want to see, most central for the county as a whole is Truro, which has the advantage of having lots of restaurants to entertain you in the evening. However, my preference would be for Falmouth, as it is closer to most of the gardens in the west [IMHO some of the best], and you could perhaps visit the garden show on the way home. Falmouth also has a few gardens of its own [the one at the princess Pavilion has just been renovated and should be looking very good at this time of year] and good restaurants, as well as excellent access to many of the gardens.

hope this helps,

good luck!
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Annhig -- I was so hoping that you would reply! Thank you for the info. Based on recommendations you gave in another post, I am looking up staying in Falmouth -- any recommendations there?

The garden tour is PERFECT -- thank you thank you! I love doing those.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 04:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
annhig has set you up w/ great info . . . just one other comment:

"<i>and then I'll be renting a car and heading west to Cornwall </i>" . . .

I personally wouldn't. I'd take the train down to Cornwall/Devon and rent your car there. It will be faster for sure and possibly cheaper.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 05:20 PM

It sounds lovely.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 01:40 AM

ditto what jj said - i was thinking of this when i was on the train to Plymouth today. the train journey from London to Penzance, especially the stretch between Exeter and Truro, is one of the greatest in the UK if not the world, and you can hire a car at Truro.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 03:00 AM

Can I VERY strongly recommend you try to get to see the David Hockney "A Bigger Picture" exhibition at the Royal Academy. Or at least buy the paperback version of the catalogue

An astoundingly detailed series of depictions of the English countryside, especially in early spring. Virtually day by day instant iPad-drawn pics (and more water colours and oils than you'd have thought anyone could put out in the time) of the same spot or object.

IMHO, the best tribute to the subtle hourly changes in our (or any other country's) landscape. If "trees and spring bulbs excite me just as much as perennial displays", the current Hockney - years in the making - might actually be more fun than the real thing.

The catalogue might double your carry on weight, and is seriously difficult (but excellent stretching exercise) to pick up and read. But the best £30 you'll ever spend.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

These are all great suggestions -- thank you. I booked a single room with sea view at the Trelawne in Falmouth for 45 pounds/night with breakfast only option. The woman on phone stated that they are having lovely weather right now -- maybe it will last another week, lol. Doesn't matter though, colors/gardens show better in overcast light haha. Must remember to bring small umbrella.

I ended up going with a rental car bc I am liable to wander about, be late for trains, miss trains, etc. After my stay in London, I will take train back to LHR and pick up rental car to head to Cornwall.

I checked out the suggestion on Hockney -- can be found here -- http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/hockney/ -- but just not my thing to be in a gallery or museum when I can be outside during the spring. Exhibition is closing in two weeks, so if someone reading is interested, see it now.

I've been printing out info for all of the gardens suggested -- I will post about my thoughts when I return.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 06:36 AM

hi Carrie,

the 5 day forecast for Cornwall is very good - I'm pleased to say. I think I'll be heading for the show on sunday, so if you will too, let me know, if you fancy meeting up - we could have a GGTG!

I hope you have a great time - it'll be interesting reading your comments about my local gardens.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Annhig -- that would be lovely. I was planning on going to the flower show on Sunday, so that works out perfectly. Not sure how we can arrange to meet -- any suggestions?

I hope to be more diligent about comments that I was back in 2002 and 2003. I did write a bit about my 2002 trip to London, Chelsea Flower Show, and Sissinghurst, which thank you Fodors!, is still available on this website here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ort-part-1.cfm

I think I got to about 13 or 14 parts before apparently life got in the way of me finishing that report. I visited a lot more gardens in Kent in 2002, and after re-reading that post just now, I wish I had finished it.

I did go back to England for garden touring again in 2003 as the above post indicates, but I ended up in garden touring in the Cotswold (after Chelsea), not Cornwall. I don't believe that I ever wrote a trip report about the Cotswolds.

So here it is, 9 years later, and I am finally doing the trip to Cornwall. Once one gets the longing to do something, it just doesn't leave.