Copenhagen hotel

Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copenhagen hotel

suggestion for CPH city hotel around $250?
Thanks,
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM

The Copenhagen Marriott. If you book it through their website is close to $400 but you can get it via Priceline much cheaper. Last year I got it for $125. It has nice , comfortable, modern rooms.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM

I would try Priceline. People seem to be getting the Marriott in the $100 to $150 range.

Otherwise, just looking at the hotels that come up on Expedia in that range for the first week of October, I kind of like the following:

- The Adina at $129. A tad out of the way in a very quiet mixed-use neighborhood, but a nice hotel that is close to the Little Mermaid and walking distance to downtown.
- The Square at $143. A solid choice centrally-located. Myself, though, I prefer the other end of Stroget, as this end is a bit down-market.
- Hotel TwentySeven at $154. A good location on a quiet-ish street. Very good bars.
- The Admiral at $220. A great location, a nice place, and very good restaurant.

I ran into availability problems for the random week I chose, but I would also not hesitate to book the Marriott or Skt Petri if they are in the sub-$250 range.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM

Larry:

We liked Ibsen's Hotel very much...run by and staffed by women. A deligthful place, slightly away from downtown, on a residential street, short walking distance to most major sites, very nice neighborhood. The rates today should still be under $250.

It is one block from one of our favorite cafes..."Cafe Klimt". It is close to the small Norreport train terminal, and just another block further to the Stroget ("stroyet", Copenhagen's famed pedestrian street)

Have fun in Copenhagen. If your careful, you won't break the bank.

Stu T.

http://www.ibsenshotel.dk/uk-index.php
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM

How long are you staying? We stayed at the Copenhagen Marriott in July pre-cruise for two nights. I think if I had to do it over again, I would pick a hotel closer to the "sites" area. Marriott was nice and had water views but definetly big with the cruise lines and not much of a "local" experience.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM

I like The Admiral. You can find a more local hotel in that price range.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM

I just stayed at the Square two weks ago. I used to live in Copenhagen during the summers (for 20-plus years of summers), so I had never needed to stay in a hotel before. But, I decided to stay at the Square and although overall pretty nice, I had the smallest room I've ever seen in 35 years of european travel. It was nine steps wide...which is how I measured it. Plus, I had to call a friend, from the hotel phone. She lives walking distance away. I had to call her on her cell phone. We talked maybe 20 minutes, if that and the call came to 401 kroner. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM

I stayed in Nyhavn at the 71 Nyhavn. You don't say when you are going, I was there in the dead of winter, right after Christmas so it was pretty quiet. I imagine in the summer months it's pretty lively and noisy.

This is advertised as a four star hotel but I think that's a bit of an exaggeration although I loved the place. It's an old warehouse so has a lot of charm but I have heard that some rooms are about the size of a closet. I had a much bigger room than that but it didn't have a canal view and it was in a newer part of the hotel I think. I reached my room from an elevator off the main lobby. There was another elevator in the lower level off the bar and dining room and that went to a different part of the hotel.

It's down at the end of one of the canals that go off from the main square. Right on the square was Magazine, major department store and Stroget branched off from there. There was a bus stop and a metro stop in the square also, so easy to get around. I loved being so close to the water. I think the price can fall within your range, BUT IF you are interested, be SURE to ask them about your room and what part of the hotel it's in if you don't want a "postage stamp".

If you can get breakfast included in your room (ours was) it's a good deal, if not, I have heard it's quite expensive, but I don't know what it costs because it didn't matter.

Anyway, just wanted to give you another suggestion.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 12:32 AM

I decided to stay at the Square and although overall pretty nice, I had the smallest room I've ever seen in 35 years of european travel.

This pretty standard in Copenhagen. The SAS Royal rooms, for example, are laughably small. The room size/comfort is why I recommend the Marriott and why it is such a popular choice, despite a slightly out of the way location (it is maybe a 10 minute walk from Tivoli or Radhuspladsen).
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:31 AM

I do not understand why people think the Marriott which is staffed by "locals" don't think it is a "local" experience.

I've stayed there three times and everybody running the place was about as "Danish" as you can get.

The rooms are fairly good sized and the Executive Level rooms are even larger.

You can walk to the main train station or Tivoli in less than 10 minutes.

It is "popular with the cruise lines" for a reason.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM

I agree Dukey. I rather be in a comfortable hotel priced right that in a hotel with "local" flavor with a room the size of a closet.

Agree with Travelgourmet, we had stayed at SAS Royal in a previous trip and the room was ridiculously small.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:50 AM

I had a comfortable stay at much less than 250 dollars a night at the Bethel Hotel in Nyhavn. I paid 392GBP for a double room for 4 nights accommodation. Room adequately sized, good huffet breakfast and on-tap tea and coffee all day if you want to rest your legs. Shopping seriously good but v. expensive.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Travelgourmet-Thanks for the heads up on room size in Copenhagen. I thought hotel room size in Paris was the smallest ever. I've been going there since the mid 70s. But, I guess Copenhagen has won that prize. I also couldn't believe that I was sleeping in a "twin" bed, like a child. Every time I'd turn, I'd hit the wall. It was an experience. LOL.

I could have stayed with friends, but since it was a quick 4-day visit, to basically take care of some banking business, and see some friends, I decided on the Square. Plus, my bank is at the beginning of Stroget. Also, on departure day, from Copenhagen, I needed to leave the hotel early and take the train back to the airport to catch my flight to Paris. I was able to easily walk to Hovedbanegaard from the Square.
Next time, I think I might go back to my friend's apartment in Frederiksberg, right off of Gammel Kongevej. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Bellini: Was that the "rack rate" for the Bethel? What date were you there?
I need a hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise June 19 and 20, 2010.
I like the price of the Bethel. Did you get breakfast?!
Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 09:33 AM

"The Admiral at $220. A great location, a nice place, and very good restaurant."

I did not stay there, wished I did!
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 12:41 AM

I second Ibsens Hotel. I love the area Nansensgade with sidestreets. Have lived here for 33 years. Situated between the Lakes and Oerstedsparken.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 07:20 AM

soljet...that's a good comment on our favorite...Ibsen's. No one else seems to pay any attention to it...maybe the OP will. I checked and it's still under $200 USD. A class place.
Thanks

stu t.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM

The part I didn't like about the "popularity with the cruise lines" was the 20 minute line that snaked around the reservation desk on check in/check out days, or the over 50 people in the lobby all congregating in one spot to catch the ship's shuttle with luggage in so many places it hampered the pathways through the lobby. All of that was probably due to the three different cruise lines that had signs up for sailings on those days. You're right the room was fine on the Executive Level - typical Marriott so you know what you're going to get. At least staying at that level, which included breakfast in the lounge, did help cut costs.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks Tower. So many tourists (including myself, when I travel) like to find places that we consider "my" place. I think Ibsens Hotel and the area represents just that. But I also agree, that at Marriot, you know what you're going to get. And that can be rather comforting, if you are short of time.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Marriott - got a great deal on Priceline ($100), saved alot of $ which was very nice. At least a 10 min walk to most sights, not near restaurants. Everyone there was American. I'm glad I saved the $ cause I am cheap but in a way regret I didn't stay at a hotel that gave me more of the "I'm not in ______, anywhere-USA experience." the room was fabulous however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -