Copenhagen highlights

Dec 31st, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Copenhagen highlights

We'll be in Copenhagen for 3-4 days in June. What's not to be missed? Are 3 days enough?

Thanks.
Dec 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM
ira

Hi a,

I'd do 4 days.

Have you looked up Copenhagen under "Destinations"?

Dec 31st, 2006, 10:38 AM

Take the hop-on and off water bus through the canals.
http://www.canaltours.dk/DCT/EN/Waterbus/

Visit Tivoli Gardens at night.

Stroll along Nyhavn, the picturesque old wharf area.
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:53 AM

Agree on 4 days - esp if you want to do day trip to Viking Musum at Roskilde or "Hamlet's" Castle.

There are several palaces and castles to explore in the town as well as a great art museum, history museum, adorable shopping area, Nyhaven district etc.
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:01 AM
nbujic

if you can, avoid the weekend:
Nyhaven can be jammed,
same with the nice shopping area.

Dec 31st, 2006, 01:07 PM

Copenhagen is quite small so you can see the main sights in 3 days.

Look up which day of the week the National museums do free entry and go then if possible.

The trip out to Helsingborg (Hamlet's castle) is worth doing and can be done in half a day.

Dec 31st, 2006, 02:57 PM

If you're in Copenhagen on a Sunday and you like churches, you might attend Mass at St. Ansgar's Cathedral. The church is beautiful, and the Mass was lovely, with four men (who sounded professional) singing a Latin Mass. It is really worth attending, even if you're not Catholic.
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Hamlet's castle (Kronborg) is in Helsingor not Helsingborg.
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM

We liked Copenhagen, and aside the places that other already recommended, I would add:
- a boat ride on canals
- visit the City hall
- visit Rosenborg palace - the residence of the Danish kings
- visit two beautiful museums: Glyptotek and Thorvaldsen's museum
- a half day trip to Frederiksborg Castle
Jan 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM

What time in June will you be in Copenhagen. They celebrate Midsummer's Eve. We attended the event at a huge park by one of the castles, but I know they also had planned events at Nyhavn and by the beach. THOUSANDS of Danish families having picnics and singing songs while a large effigy of a witch was burned. It was pretty amazing.

Be sure to just walk around the Stoget shopping area- 5 pedestrian streets, lots of nice cafes, musical performers.

We also really liked the Frihedsmuseet- the Resistance Museum. It is a small museum but filled with interesting displays on how the Danish fought against the Nazis and helped smuggle Jewish people to safety in Sweden. It is very close to the Gefion Fountain. We got to them easily by taking the water taxi- they are in the same system as the trains and buses, so you can use the same punch cards.
Jan 6th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Midsummer's Eve sounds like great fun. Haven't checked the schedule but from our ease in booking a hotel, I'd bet we miss the event! We'll be there 6/11-16.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!
Jan 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM

My son is studying abroad in Copenhagen for the entire academic year. He should be able to give you some great advice! I'll mention your post here and see if I can get him to post a reply. We are visiting him soon and will be in Copenhagen the 3rd week in Jan.

Have fun in Copenhagen! I'm sure you'll love it!

Jan 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM

* Dinner in Grabrodre Torv, a quintessential European square.
* Fredricksberg Castle
* 90 Vin Stue on Gammel Kongevej, best beer in the world
* Viking museum is BORING, but that's just me
Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:58 PM

To karentoft or anybody that can assist me:

I am studying abroad in Denmark for 1 semester this fall (August-December). I am interested in knowing: is it easy to travel around Denmark? What is the weather like during the months I will be there? Where are the best places to travel if I have a free weekend, in or out of the country? Do most people speak English? Lastly, for anyone that studied abroad in Denmark, when my school says there will be a European aspect added to my business courses, what exactly does that mean?

I am very excited to going to such a beautiful place! Even though it's several months away, it is never to early to start planning

Thank you!
Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM

It's very easy to travel around Denmark on public transport. The weather is changeable, from warm in August/September to cold in November/December. Very windy in the winter. Everybody speaks English. There are many suggestions here already on places to visit in Denmark, personally I like the area around Helsingoer (my in-laws live there) and to soak up the local atmosphere in small seaside resort towns such as Hornbaek, Gilleleje, Liseleje
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM

JennC

The weather when my son was there this last fall was fairly mild. It seemed to rain/mist quite a bit which I think is pretty typical there. The temps were usually in the 40's during much of Nov and Dec. A bit warmer in Sept and Oct, probably 50's or so.

The public transportation is very easy to use. My son has a pass that can be used on both the metro and bus system. Most people that live there ride bikes absolutely everywhere so that is an option too. His study abroad program pays for his metro/bus pass so he didn't get a bike. His host family has several he could borrow if he wanted to.

He has a rail pass that he used when we were over to visit in January. Otherwise he mostly has flown when he wants to travel. Airfare is fairly reasonable compared to US rates. Because he is staying the entire the entire academic year, he has done more longer trips instead of so many weekend trips. So far he has been to the following school/program related trips: Brussels, Amsterdam, St. Petersburg, Moscow, day trip to Sweden and Western Denmark. Trips he has organized on his own so far: Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona.
This coming semester will bring him to: Stockholm, Vienna, Budapest for school trips and on his own he is planning on visiting Cairo. Over his winter break from school, we traveled as a family to Paris, Chamonix France, Prague, Hamburg, and finally up to Copenhagen. We used rail passes bought in the US prior to our trip.

Here is his webpage with more info on each of those destinations in case your interested: http://web.mac.com/ctoft/iWeb/chased.../Welcome..html

He has had no trouble with any language barriers. Most everyone there speaks English very well.

Just curious, which program/school are you studying with? If it happens to be DIS, you will love it!!

As far as the "european aspects," I'm not sure what that would be. My son might be able to answer that better.

Good luck with your trip! He hasn't regretted a bit of it.

Feb 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Dear Karentoft,

Thanks so much for getting back to me! It sounds like you had a great time visiting. My family, too, will be visiting me when I'm abroad. Just three days ago I was accepted to DIS for the International Business and Economics program. Is your son at DIS? I have talked to several kids that went last semester, but have not heard great things about the IBE program, although great things about other programs and the school in general. I will be living in a dorm, but still have the opportunity to visit and eat with a host family.

What airline does your son use to travel in Denmark? There are many places I'd like to visit, but if I stay in the IBE program I will only have the weekends to travel. There is also a two week break from school where we can travel. Any places you can recommend for both weekend and a little longer? Through the school, there is a one week study tour and I'll be going to London and Brusseuls. Also, I heard food is expensive. Is that true?

Thanks so much for the website and all of your help! I can't wait to check it out. Talk to you soon!
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM

My niece was in Copenhagen last year with DIS. She was in a dorm..they ran out of families. She was in the Early Childhood Development program. She was required to take Danish. She had a hard time the first semester but with a different teacher, she did much better the second semester. She did a lot of study tours, other parts of Denmark, to Moscow and St. Petersberg, Oslo, London (she had lived in London a few years ago so was fun going back), and then she and a friend went to Spain for a few days on the way back from London.

The program is difficult and she really had to buckle down and study to maintain good grades. They also don't give a lot of sympathy or assistance. When she was having the problems with learning Danish, she asked about some help and they pretty much said "you knew the job was tough when you took it, so suck it up and deal with it", so that's what she did. It's a great opportunity for young people for sure.
Feb 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM

JennC

Yes, he is at DIS! He is having the best time ever. He was enrolled in the European Politics and Society program for the Fall semester and is now enrolled in European Culture and History for the spring semester. I don't know about the IBE program. You could email him if you want and he might be able to give you some feedback. His email address is listed on his webpage.

As far as airlines, he used IcelandAir and booked his flight through STA travel. It was very expensive, but he needed to be there on a specific day and we couldn't find anything any cheaper. If you are comfortable arriving a day or two early, you can play around with the dates and get a better price. I heard a lot of students did that and then just stayed at one of the hostels for a few days prior to the actual orientation date.

For the 3 week breaks, he did the Russia trip and thought it was amazing. The first week was Amsterdam and Brussels, the second week was Russia and the third week was Madrid-Barcelona. Probably the best additional trip he bought so far was the Russia one. There is info about it on the DIS website. I would also encourage you to look at the blogs from other DIS students. They have good insight on what they thought of the tours as well. Quick weekend trips that I have heard good things was the Legoland trip.

Yes, the food is EXPENSIVE! He lives with a host family so most food is included. We occasionally send "care packages" of some of his favorites from home. One of his good friends in staying in the kollegiums and might have better info on those.

For the Danish language, he only had to take the quick like 4-6 hour course with basic Danish words. I don't think he had to take it as a regular course, just a mini informational class. His host mom teaches Danish so that has been helpful, but it hasn't been hard at all for him to not know a whole lot of conversational Danish. His host family speaks both Danish and English so he is exposed to the language but doesn't feel lost without a class. (He is taking Arabic so maybe he didn't have to take Danish as well, I'm not sure how that worked out.)

Have fun exploring your options! Your time will go by so fast leading up to your trip...enjoy every minute and don't get stressed out about it.
Feb 6th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Thank you so much for all of your help! In fact, I checked out your son's website and found it be incredible! I plan on sharing it with my Denmark study aborad representative. I have read several of the blogs and the pictures are great. It really gets me excited to be going. My mom has been doing lots of research too, so I am sure I will be set. I have emailed your son some questions (although I am thinking of more as I write this to you) and he already got back to me! The additional websites he provided are also great! Is there any specific place that you enjoyed when you visited him that I should take my family to?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO