Venice, Italy Hotel & sightseeing recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a cruise that departs the Venezia passenger terminal in the latter part of October 2015. We plan to spend one or two days in Venice before the cruise begins. We would appreciate any recommendations for hotels and the best things to see or do in a one or two day visit to the city.

Thanks all!
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 10:33 AM

To me the one must thing in Venice is to take a public vaporetto boat ride down the Grand Canale at night - as the ancient crumbling pastel facades silently slip by - hinting at Venice's one-time opulence.

Of course St mark's Square at night when the classical orchestras are playing Baroque music is also rather surreal - and of course St Mark's Basilica itself - after those just get lost in side streets with few tourists - makes Venice mouch more awesome than just sticking to the main tourist gauntlet between the parking lots and train station and San Marcos. Take a boat over to Guidecca to see St Mark;s in all its glory from a distance. If taking more than a few boats buy a daylong boat pass and explore - every canal is neat.

Oh Rialto Bridge is also on the must list of all - lively market under it too.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 02:07 PM

I love hotel Flora, close to San Marco.
Take a gondola. I didn't the first time, my wife made fun of me until the next trip where I had the sense to book a gondola...
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would help if you provided a budget, otherwise I'll just suggest The Danieli or The Gritti Palace.

You should also tell what your interests are, otherwise I'll just suggest an afternoon at the Peggy Guggenheim.

Thin
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 04:32 PM

Agree that we need a nightly budget in euros - and to know how many "we" are - since the standard room configuration is one double bed for 2 people, to make hotel recos.

As for what to do in only a day to two you will have trouble seeing the basics: Doges Palace, San Marco, explore some of th/e city on foot and take some sort of boat somewhere (depending on your plans).

If you have time I would try to get to Torcello, one of the outer islands, which is absolutely charming and has an ancient church with Byzantine mosaics.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 12:35 AM

Where to stay:

B&B Sandra

Corte Trapolin, Cannaregio 2452, (041 720957; [email protected]), doubles from €85

Alessandra Soldi lives on the top two floors of a 17th-century house, and her elegant home is the jewel of Venice's B&Bs. Guests are invited to a sumptuous breakfast in her tasteful living room, furnished with comfortable sofas, paintings and antiques.
Domus Orsoni

2. Calle dei Vedei, Cannaregio 1045, (041 2759538; www.domusorsoni.it, doubles from €100

Lucio Orsoni has transformed part of his glass making workshops into a stylish hotel, decorated, naturally enough, with breathtaking mosaics. Guests can wander through the hotel gardens and visit the ateliers and furnaces; there are regular courses in making mosaics.

Where to eat on budget

Cheap and cheerful lunch

find a restraurant with a menu operai - a hearty set lunch for workers - is served in many trattorie at midday, and a full meal will set you back only about €10. The best places for this are La Bea Vita (Fondamenta delle Cappuccine, Cannaregio 3082; 041 2759347) and (Fondamenta Ormesini 2754), which both have lovely canal-side terraces, and Osteria Ai Osti (Corte dei Pali Testori, Cannaregio 3849; 041 5207993), whose chef, Danilo, creates some brilliant dishes of the day with whatever he has found that morning in the Rialto market nearby.

Anna & Vilma's Home Restaurant

When it comes to fish, you will think of the sea, but do not forget the lagoon - where the land of Venice is based in. Anna & Vilma is a pair of friends who is passionate about cooking and adding their own twist to classic Venitian cuisines they've sampled in different restaurants. Located in the heart of the Lagoon, they offer the fish that arrives every morning at the Rialto market or in Campo Santa Margherita or the Giudecca. For other specialties, such as moeche, they will buy it directly from the fisherman.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Orsoni is hard to book, as is the Dogaressa, which is near the Orsoni.

Across the canal (Fondamente Cannaregio) from the Dogaressa is the Palazzo Cendon Mansard.

Thin