Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen areas convenient to public transportation in which to stay.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Copenhagen on Oct. 15 and 16 and just now looking at places to stay. Since this will be a stop after being in Stockholm for 4 nights, I am looking for a place with a washing machine so looking on airbnb. Looking for an economical price as well and have found an apartment in Nørrebro, It has great reviews, but not too much mention of how easy it is to get to see things of interest and to and from the airport.
Does anyone have knowledge of this area in Copenhagen? It is less than $300 for 2 nights.
Thank you .
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
google maps shows the bus stops
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Are there better areas than others in which to stay in Copenhagen? I know it is a small town, but we only have 1 1'2 days to explore.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It depends on what you like, if you are north of the harbour then the region to the west of the station is more tatoo parlor than royal palace, being Denmark this is still relativly posh. If you focus on the east of the station then that is posh and houses most of the museums etc. South of the harbour is junkie heaven and not bad for all that.

There are a bunch of cheap hotels in a mass just south and east of the station which is a little dull but cheap and clean
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 07:53 AM

small town? Copenhagen has a population of about a million.

It depends where you are in that district. It would be a good place to stay for a hip area, convenience would be better if closer to the center or the Forum metro stop and the lakes, sure, but it's a large area, so hard to say. The airport is only about 10 km outside town anyway.

You may find this useful
http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copen...blic-transport

The line 66 bus might be useful to you.
https://citymapper.com/copenhagen/bus/bus-66?lang=en

Do you actually know where this apt is? Just somewhere in a huge district isn't that precise.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 08:18 AM

I just got back from Copenhagen yesterday. I started spending whole summers there regularly back in the early 70s. However, on this trip, I decided to stay at the Clarion Hotel at the airport as it's nearly connected to Terminal 3 and is quiet, has large, modern rooms, breakfast was included, and one can walk to Terminal 3, by an inside passage and in less then 5 minutes. Convenient. Plus, I had some questions about my plane ticket and was able to walk over to Terminal 3 to not only straighten out some things, but they also printed my boarding pass the day before I left or one can use the machines. Also, both the metro and train have stations right at the airport as I take both. To get into the heart of the city, on either, takes about 15 minutes.

I've stayed all over Copenhagen area, since the early 70s, but this time it was much more convenient to stay at the airport hotel. One of my long-term friends even came out to visit me before going to work one day as it was a straight shoot, on the metro from her place in Frederiksberg. She said that she will recommend it to all the friends who come into Copenhagen. Also, since I flew into and out of Copenhagen twice on this trip, it was very convenient as I had one 6:50AM flight out and the other was a 6:30AM flight out. I was more than glad to only have a 5-minute walk into Terminal 3.

As for my favorite area to stay, in Copenhagen, it's in Frederiksberg and I had a great Airbnb there, but it's no longer available. However, on this trip, twice I went to see two, different sets of friends, who live in Frederiksberg and it only took me 20 minutes, on the metro, to get from the airport to Frederiksberg metro station which is attached to Frederiksberg shopping center.

The Clarion Hotel rates might have fallen by now as I was told that up until about mid June , there are a lot of conferences and the rates are higher. But, then the rates drop. As for food, of course the hotel food prices are high, but one can either walk over to Terminal 3 to grab a bite (Burger King, bakery, other food items) or do what I did and jump on the metro and get off at the Kongens Nytorv stop in about 13 minutes and when you get off, it's up two escalators and you end up inside of the Magazin department store and on the level where there's both the grocery store and eateries. There are some really good, panini-style sandwiches at the first food stand when one walks into Magazin. That's where I grabbed a bite a lot and then walked next to it and got something to drink at the grocery store (Mad go Vin). You can also go one more metro stop to Norreport Station, where the huge Torvehallet is that's a covered area of individual eateries.

As for transportation into the city, I got a rejsekort.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 08:58 AM

I just noticed the washing machine comment. I don't know about that one. Maybe you should look for a laundromat. Plus, the chances of a dryer in an apartment are slim and clothes can take a long time to dry in DK. I had planned to wash my clothes at the laundromat across the street from a friend's place, but the laundromat was gone as I was told that it left last year. It had been there for decades and was there last summer. So, I just brought those dirty clothes home.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 11:27 AM

Laundromats are a dying breed in wealthier countries where most have washers and dryers at home or in the flats.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Do any of you know the Anderson Boutique Hotel near Vesterboro ? There was some mention of red light district close by. It has gotten very good reviews on booking.com
I will do laundry in airbnb in Amsterdam. We only have carryons for a 5 week trip, so we do need to do wash.
I live in Costa Rica and we don't have laundromats either. I must be showing my age remembering them from years gone by...
This is Airbnb description of location of the apartment. They don't give you exact address now until one books.
"Metro/S Train station/Bus Stop 1 min. away. "
Thank you for you ideas about the hotel near airport and commuting into city.

Thanks for your help.
Did not mean to offend by saying Copenhagen was small... maybe compared to coming from London, Amsterdam, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, etc.... It was described that way by someone in a travel blog.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't worry about the so-called Red Light district. I'm female and used to do most of my grocery shopping in the Red Light district, back in the 70s/80s, when it was quite Red Light..as in hookers throwing beer bottles out of windows at night. I used to bike through it, at night, and duck. I lived not that far away. Now, it's been cleaned up quite a bit. Back then, the Turkish grocers were located in that area and they carried some vegetables that I couldn't find in a Danish grocery store.

As for laundromats, they are not that scarce in Copenhagen, but since you will be washing in Amsterdam, then you won't need one. I needed to wash, too, but washed at the one in Paris and two steps from my hotel. I have had no problem washing there as the one that I use opened back in the 80s, and is still going strong. Also directly across the street from the hotel that a Parisian friend manages, there's a laundromat. So, I ended up not washing in Copenhagen although my friend told me which one he uses now since the one directly across from him has closed. He said there's a washer in the basement of his building, but it takes 2.5 hours to wash, so he goes to the laundromat instead.

As for Copenhagen being small, it's also small to me. Danish friends and I have walked all over Copenhagen for decades, as far as from Nyhavn all the way to Frederiksberg. Plus, we used to go dancing and would have to walk home from central Copenhagen, at wee hours of the morning, to both where I lived, across from Carlsberg, and other friends walked on home to Frederiksberg. They would stop in at my place, have a cup of tea and snack, and then continue walking. So, it's small to me. I could never do such here in Los Angeles.

As for your Airbnb description, that doesn't give me much to go by as I'd need to know what station it's a 1-minute walk to. I do Airbnb and there should be a partial map, with a circle around the area of the listed Airbnb apartment and then you can see nearby streets.

Have fun in Copenhagen.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 12:24 AM

<<Do any of you know the Anderson Boutique Hotel near Vesterboro ?>>
West of Copenhagen is not a particularly nice area. With Copenhagen, centre or north is best. There are some really gorgeous suburbs in the north, but for a short stay I recommend the centre (Indre By). The hotel might be nice, but it's not an area that I am particularly fond of. Location is important, esp for a first time visit & I would not suggest staying at the airport.

I don't know if any of these hotels fit into your budget:

Babette Guldsmeden (and others in the Guldsmeden chain), this is a great hotel and location.
The Square
The Admiral
Hotel Bethel (inexpensive and fab location)
Phoenix
Skt Petri
Marriott
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 02:16 AM

I have stayed at The Square and wasn't impressed to say the least. My room was very small, I had a twin bed pushed against the wall, the shower drain kept clogging up, and I found it very overpriced for what I got. That was my personal experience and I personally wouldn't stay there again. To each his own.

As for first time visits and where to stay, I think that depends on the traveler as I've stayed, out of central areas, on first time visits to many cities around the world. The OP has mentioned Norrebro for an Airbnb which, I personally wouldn't stay in Norrebro. I had friends who lived there and have been there a lot. Plus, the OP was wondering about the ease of getting to the airport from Norrebro. Well if that is a concern, then staying at the airport solves that.

I'll stick with The Clarion at the airport and commute in as I had a large, modern room that was very comfortable and it was very quiet. It was quieter than anywhere else I have stayed whether in rented places or with friends. The hotel that was in the building of the now, Clarion was the Hilton, but the name changed some months ago. I had two reservations and one said Hilton and the other Clarion.

As for the airport area, that didn't affect me at all as I wasn't doing things in the airport area. What was important was that it was a 5-minute walk, if that, to walk either to the metro or train station inside the airport and then end up in Copenhagen Central in a very short time. Plus, there's always the convenience of the hotel being right there when one either arrives into Copenhagen, by plane or has to fly out of Copenhagen or take the train within DK or to Sweden. I just saw some prices pop up for as low as $175. for a hotel room. So, I still recommend the hotel regardless of the area.

https://www.nordicchoicehotels.com/h...hagen-airport/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...on_Zealan.html

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm. Thank you for all your replies and opinions. It did not look like ti was a long walk to center from Vestebro where Anderson Boutique Hotel is located. It was described as being 200 meters from Central Station. Red light district would not deter my staying there either as long as it is within walking distance of things we want to see.
Hotel Bethel is not available and I will look at the others now.
Do you know these hotels? They were on my list as well.
Hotel SP34
Hotel SKT Annae
Hotel Kong Arthurat
Absalon
I was looking at price and at least an 8.0 review on booking.com and a price of $150 or less per night.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I was able to book the Hotel Bethel corner view room.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 07:41 PM

Glad that you have worked it out. I've heard of that hotel and have walked past it in the past.

As for getting to your hotel, you mentioned that you will be coming from Stockholm. If you arrive into DK at the airport, then to get to your hotel, take the metro, not the train. Both the train station and the metro station are accessed from Terminal 3 area although the train tracks are beneath Terminal 3 area and the metro is one level up and not underground. Copenhagen airport is VERY small, so no problem.

First buy a metro ticket which will be in Terminal 3. Right near the ticket-purchasing area, there will be both an elevator and escalator. Take either one up and when you get out or off, walk straight ahead and that will take you directly to the metro tracks which are above ground. That's the beginning/end of the metro line and there's only one line. Easy.

Don't be caught on the metro without a ticket as if the conductor comes, it will be a very expensive fine. He came on, week before last, and checked my rejsekort (rechargeable plastic card) and then checked the passenger's rejsekort standing across from me. Well, the other passenger had forgotten to place it on the blue, "IND" button to validate it for that ride. You must hit, "IND" before boarding and "UD" after you have arrived to your final destination and the machine is in the station. This is only for the rejsekort system, not for individual paper tickets.

The other passenger and I were both going to the airport as I was going back to my hotel and she had a suitcase and was obviously trying to catch a flight, but the metro-train conductor was writing her up.

The week before, I had also forgotten to click my rejsekort before boarding, but when I realized it, I got off the metro-train car, a couple stations away, and then clicked it and waited for the next metro train to continue on to Kongens Nytorv. A friend said that months ago he had also forgotten to click his after his ride, I think it was, and then a hefty fine was automatically deducted from his rejsekort. I'm used to systems that have either turnstiles or those little, double doors, connected to an entrance machine where one places the pass on it and the doors open or else one can't get to the platform. So, this rejsekort system gets confusing.

When you get up to the metro platform, it's a straight line to the Kongens Nytorv stop where you will get off and then walk to the hotel which is around at the end area of Nyhavn. When you come out of the metro station, you'll be below the Magazin department store.

When you need to get back to the airport, on departure, then go back to Kongens Nytorv and below Magazin department store to catch the metro. You will need to buy your tickets from a machine, unless you have a rejsekort (good for metro and buses), as there is no ticket booth with a person selling tickets.

Have fun in Copenhagen.

Happy Travels!
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

If coming by train from Stockholm to Copenhagen, how would we get to Hotel Bethel?
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 02:52 AM

Take a taxi from Copenhagen central station or if you don't have much luggage, walk.
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Wow..Thanks, Odin. We only have carryon. I did not realize train station was that close to Hotel Bethel.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 09:35 AM

It's a good 30 min walk so not exactly round the corner.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 05:23 PM

I'd take a taxi If you have a roller suitcase. I don't find it fun pulling a roller suitcase over cobblestones. I'd take a taxi, even with no roller suitcase, as Hotel Bertel is not close to the main train station.

Happy Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -