Search

Cookies

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 01:17 AM
just

Cookies

Just out of interest. Why have Fodors started planting cookies on people's computers? Sinister?

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 05:20 AM
xxxx

I'm not a computer nerd. Could you explain yourself?<BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 07:06 AM
yea

What is a cookie?

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 07:18 AM
Ron

If I remember correctly, the only cookie is for doubleclick. You can go to www.doubleclick.net and opt-out of their cookie. It actually puts a cookie on your compter that stops doubleclick from collecting your information.<BR>Fodors has been doing this for quite a while. My settings show me each time a web site wants to store a cookie. I consider each one and allow or not allow based on who the web site is and how long until the cookie expires.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 07:22 AM
just

Well basically a cookie is a small file that a website can leave on your hard disk. Fodors have recently started planting them.<BR>Although most cookies are pretty harmless, a website can get a lot of information about you when you visit, without you knowing. They can identify which website you arrived from, the internet address of the computer you are using to access the web, and the type of computer and browser you are running. They may also be able to oget your email address and real name.<BR><BR>Have a look at http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Ar...981002,00.html