Reload this Page >

London for ONE night; some recommendations, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 12:31 PM
Judi

BA has cut back on flights which leaves us no choice but to spend one night in London on our return to Atlanta from Rome. We look at it as an opportunity to take a quick peek at London. I hope to talk my husband into going to London on a Go-Today in February so this may be just the thing to get him interested. My research has shown that the Blakemore, Best Western Paddington Court and Norfolk Towers are all inexpensive and near the Heathrow Express. Does anyone have an opinion on any of these hotels or a recommendation for another one? Thanks in advance.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 01:36 PM
Lori

Judi, <BR>Since you will only be overnighting in London consider what we did on our last trip - we stayed over at the Heathrow Hilton. It's actually connected to Term 4 and you can use a luggage trolley to schlepp your stuff over there via a covered walkway. One you get settled in your room you can take the Tube into London to sightsee, whatever - it's about 50 min to Piccadilly Circus. It's easy, and best of all no dragging luggage into London for just one night. The hotel is fairly expensive, rooms are nice enough but smallish. Bathrooms were good. We had stayed in London for 11 days and then went on to France and not wanting to dash for connections on the way home as in previous trips this provided us with a great option. We got "one more night" in London as we went in, had dinner, walked around, etc. The bonus with this arrangement is that you are "at" the airport already the next day when you fly out so there is no mad dash or worry about getting there. It's worth it not to drag luggage in and out I think. One other thing is that if you do this buy a One Day Tube pass - not a ticket to go in and a ticket to come back out -- it's way cheaper! Plus you can use it if you pop in and out of the Tube while doing you sightseeing.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 02:23 PM
Judi

Hi Lori, Thanks for the reply. We are flying into Heathrow and out of Gatwick so we may as well stay in London, don't you think? We are light packers so don't have much to schlepp into the city. We will get to Heathrow at 9:35 AM so will have most of the day. I think a one day tube pass would be the thing to do.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 02:51 PM
Lori

Judi, <BR>Keep checking with BA because according to their website they are cutting a lot of flights out of Gatwick and will be "consolidating" more at Heathrow at least temporarily. That said, I think any of the hotels you mention around Paddington (Heathrow Express) would be ok for one night. Best Western hotels are easy to book and usually decent. We've used them in various countries and had no problems. There is a hotel called London Guards in Bayswater (not far from Paddington) that I saw written up favorably recently -- never stayed there tho so I can't judge myself. The Paddington area is not the prettiest in all of London but it's OK for one night for sure. ENJOY you day in London.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:33 PM
linda

Judi, I am not particularly excited about the neighborhood around Paddington Station for one night in London. Too residential without being "special" IMHO. Agreat London experience is taking a Black Cab. Why not pick a hotel based on location and price rather than the train staion? The ride will probably be a highlight. I would consider Number Sixteen, L'Hotel, Tophams Belgravia, or a hotel on Beaufort Place. I don't think you would regret the ride or the fare. Let us know. <BR> <BR>linda

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:22 PM
janis

If I were you,I'd stay somewhere closer to Victoria since convenience to the Gatwick Express the next day is more important than from LHR the day you arrive. <BR> <BR>There are many nice areas (Kensington, S. Kens, etc.) or you can stay at the Holiday Inn right at Victoria station and have less than 1 block walk to the station to catch the train to Gatwick.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:30 PM
Sue

The Quality Hotel Eccleston is only a block or two from Victoria and looked to be OK. www.choicehotels.com

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:30 AM
linda

Judi, Janis' suggestion to stay close to the Gatwick Express sounds like a good one. Tophams Belgravia is a very shory walk over to Victoria Station. I believe that as well as a lot of chintz, a bar and restaurant, this small hotel's rates also include VAT, service and breakfast. It might be a hotel you want to look into. <BR> <BR>linda

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
mauld

I too would suggest a hotel near Victoria station for easy access to LGW. As far as seeing London, I would recommend the Big Bus Tour. Its one of those 'hop on/hop off' open top buses. They give a fairly comprehensive tour of all the must sees in the city. I know it begins near Green Park/Piccadilly--but you can buy a ticket anywhere it stops. I think it also includes a boat ride on the Thames-which might be ok if the weather cooperates.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:47 AM
Giovanni

Since you only have one day and one night for this short stay, I would focus on convenience and not on saving a few bucks. If your flight leaves early the next day (ie. before 1100am), I would opt for an airport hotel and then take the Gatwick Express train (nonstop high speed) into the center of London, and focus on two specific sights with a pub lunch and a cafe dinner. If your flight leaves after 1100am, I would choose a hotel in the center of London close to the sights of interest; you will pay higher prices for this convenience, but what's more important: saving dollars or saving time? <BR>Cheers, <BR>Giovanni

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:10 AM
Judi

Thanks, dear Fodorites, for your help. <BR>Our flight doesn't leave until 11:30 the following morning so I think we would want to stay in the city, but it was a good thought, Giovanni. <BR>I have found some specials: Montana at 69 GBP including taxes and breakfast or Burns at 89.50 GBP, inclusive. The Millennium Gloucester is 72 GBP not including taxes or breakfast. All have been recommmended by Fodorites. What do you think? <BR>The Big Bus Tour sounds perfect, Michelle. <BR>I appreciate all of your hotel suggestions.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:49 AM
Judi

I just booked the Millennium Gloucester for 85 GBP w/taxes but no breakfast. Thank you again for all of your help.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 09:18 AM
Judi

We just returned last night from our trip. Our one day in London was perfect. We took the Heathrow Express into the city then took a cab (love them!) to the Millennium Gloucester. We booked it for 85 GBP, tax included, through LondonTown.com . It is a very pleasant hotel and we had a nice corner room. We were settled by 11:AM and went to the Hereford Pub for fish and chips. We then got on the Big Bus Tour at Gloucester Station and toured for a few hours. We took the river cruise as well. By the time we were ready to get off it had begun to get dark and the store windows dressed for Christmas were very pretty, especially at Harrods. We had a nice dinner at Olives which we discovered later was attached to the Millennium Baileys. The next morning we took a cab to Victoria Station then got on the Gatwick Express. Thanks to all of you who helped me plan this mini-trip. We are looking forward to returning when we can spend more time.