Converter question

Jul 8th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Posts: n/a
Converter question

I just bought an adaptor/converter set for my upcomming trip to Europe rather than buying a dual voltage hair dryer and curling iron. I didn't realize that the set says it will convert 1600 watt appliances or under until I got it home. My hairdryer is 1850 watts. Will I be ok if I keep my hairdryer on low?
Jul 8th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Posts: n/a
Jul 8th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Posts: n/a
Depends on the wattage on the low setting.

My bet is that regardless, you will burn it up and buy one of the European models that you will have for the rest ofyour life.
Jul 8th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Posts: n/a

I'm no scientist but I wouldn't try it. The possibilities seem to be that you would either ruin your dryer or cause a fire (heaven forbid). If you are lucky, the dryer just wouldn't work. Besides, my personal experience is that, with a converter, the dryer puts out a lot less air. So, on low, you might be better off just having your companion blow on your head. Once, in Milan, I turned on my dryer and blew out all the power in our room. Point being that some places just don't have the power support our appliances anyway.

Some hotels have dryers. I saw a post on here once that suggested buying a dryer over there, which I think I'll do myself next time.

Jul 8th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Posts: n/a
You may well be able to use your dryer with that transformer. But there's a significant risk it will ruin the transformer, the dryer, possibly blow the circuits for the room, and a fire is a more-than-a-bit possibility.

WalMart, KMart (and many others) typically carry nice dual-voltage travel-size hair dryers for under $10. They'll take up less space than most home dryers and they work find on 240V.

The curler is a bit more of a problem. You can carry the transformer for it, though it's a bit heavy ... and oversized. The curler probably needs only 85 watts, or thereabouts. As I recall, though, the next lower size of transformer is 50 Watts? I'm not sure what's in the market for dual-voltage curlers. If nothing, then it should be easy enough to buy a 240V version at your first stop.

Some folks use the butane curlers. Julie has always used the travel-pack hot rollers (if I have that right) which work on both voltages I think.

Jul 8th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Posts: n/a
First, I wouldn't try it, for all the reasons given above.
Second, depending on how prepared you want to be, this is what I would do. Return the converter and get your money back. Then buy a dual-voltage hairdryer and a dual-voltage curling iron (or, as an alternative) butane. You can use them both at home when you return and will have them for later trips to anywhere else in the world. (Even if this is your first trip, I'll be it won't be the last.) Both dual-voltage dryers and curlers are available in many places, though you may have to look a bit for the curling iron.
Jul 8th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Posts: n/a
I found dual wattage hair dryers and curling irons in Walmart, bout $15 each (can't remember).

I wouldn't try the converter, just make sure you have the plug adaptor.
Jul 9th, 2001, 04:53 AM
Posts: n/a
Is there anyplace in US that sells butane curling iron, execpt online?
Jul 9th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Posts: n/a
Conair makes both dual voltage curling iron & heat styling brush. Under $20 at Eckerd Drugs. Also I found a cordless curling brush by Conair that uses Thermacell cartridges. I'm not sure if that is the same as butane?? Anyway, I didn't like it much compared to the electric ones. Try Walgreens, too.
Jul 9th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Posts: n/a
Thanks for all the information! Although this may sound silly, I'm going to keep the converter & adaptor set for my curling iron and just buy another, smaller hairdryer. I know that sounds like alot to carry, but such is the price of beauty
Jul 9th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Posts: n/a
I don't think you can take butane (compressed gas) on airplanes, can you?
Jul 10th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Posts: n/a
The 1850 Watts would be when the dryer is on HIGH heat and the blower is on high speed. You would probably be safe using the blower on low temperature and a low speed setting. So Z's answer is correct.
Jul 10th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Posts: n/a
According to onsite sales, you can carry on butane cylinders, just not check them thru. Would definitely check with airline first.
Jul 10th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Posts: n/a
Sorry--this is a follow-up question--when you get a dual voltage hair dryer, you still need an adapter, right? Do I need two diff't adapters for Sweden and England? Thanks!
Jul 10th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Posts: n/a
Yes, and yes. Sweden and the UK have different sockets.
Jul 10th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Lori Ann
Posts: n/a
I also would be concerned about carring butane curling iron to Europe. Most hotels these days provide hair dryers (somtime you have to ask for it a the desk). I finally broke down and bought a basic curling iron with a slide-on brush attachment in Germany for $10.
It was so convenient. Why didn't I think of that sooner? Since my hair is on the shorter side, I was sorry I left my velcro rollers at home.
One additional thing I took on our last trip was inflatable hangers. Hand washed stuffed dried very quickly on these. When deflated, they take very little room.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:49 PM.