Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Le Torri or Castello di Bibbione in Tuscany or others to recommend near Florence?

Le Torri or Castello di Bibbione in Tuscany or others to recommend near Florence?

Jul 9th, 2001, 08:14 AM
curious

Hi! I am just beginning to plan a trip for next Spring in Italy for my family of four which includes 2 boys who will be 9 and 12. Has anyone stayed at the above agriturismo's near Florence and can give me some insight on them? Are there any others that you could recommend near Florence? Thanks so much!

Jul 9th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Carol

Hi- I will be staying at the Castello di Bibbione in August - it is supposed to be very lovely and is owned by the Macchiavelli family. I will be writing a review for www.slowtrav.com so you can look it up at the end of August to get my firsthand observations. I did a lot of research into agriturismos and this place seemed to be the nicest as far as proximity to Florence and the facilities. The price is about $600.00 for the week. Anyway, checl out that website!

Jul 9th, 2001, 11:18 PM
Ian

Check out Fattoria Pagnana on www.fattoria-pagnana.com
It's a lot closer to Florence than Bibbione and very suitable for families with children.
By the way for your boys I highly recommend that you take them to see the Stibbert Museum in Florence - their collection of armour will surely fascinate them.

Jul 10th, 2001, 05:34 AM
curious

Thanks for the replies. How were the villas at Pagnana? Did they have an on-site restaurant? That is the only thing Bibbione seems to be lacking.

Jul 10th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Ian

At Fattoria Pagnana the villas are in fact large apartments in farm buildings which date back 400-500 years - i.e. with very thick walls meaning that they are cool in the summer and warm in the winter months. They were originally the buildings occupied by those who lived and worked on the farm. Genuine "Agriturismos" use such buildings and are still to be found on a working farm - in fact the Italian Government grants tax concessions to such estates which still have an agricultural income. Those places which have just converted and restored old buildings but do not have agricultural income do not have the same tax concessions and cannot properly call themselves "Agriturismos". They should properly be called "Case Vacanze" but many incorrectly call themselves "Agriturismos". Many also sell wine and oil which they buy from large local bottling firms and stick their label on it.
Back to Pagnana, they do not have a restaurant but they have a gazebo (what is this called in American?), an open air covered structure where they serve a full continental buffet breakfast as well as a weekly buffet dinner & grill. Outside of each apartment there are fixed stone BBQ's for use. Of course there are many restaurants and trattorias nearby and being Italy kids are always welcome.

Jul 10th, 2001, 10:07 AM
ohoh

We Americans call them "gazebos"

Jul 10th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Ian

Thanks - I'll just wipe the egg off my face now!