COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Converter for a laptop in Italy?

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 833
Converter for a laptop in Italy?

My sister is going to be leaving New York to spend a year at school in Italy soon. She was told she needs a converter for her Sony Vaio laptop. Radio Shack had one but told us it couldn't be used for a laptop. The guy at Circuit City had no clue if the one they had could be used for a laptop.

Does anyone know if there's something specific the converter will say on its box that will let us know that it can be used with a laptop? Any other useful information out there, like brands, where to buy, etcetera?


turn_it_on is offline  
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,181
Your sister probably doesn't need a converter, but only a plug adapter. When I arrived in Italy with my new IBM Thinkpad, I thought I needed a converter and went to an electronics shop in Florence to buy it, explaining to the proprietor what I needed. I paid 25 euros but then read the packaging, where it said not to use it with computers. The proprietor refused to give me my money back.

It turned out my laptop was already dual voltage and all I had needed was an inexpensive plug adapter. That is probably what your sister needs also, but I'd check with Sony to make sure.
Mary_Fran is offline  
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 286
I just checked my VAIO.
It is :
Input - 100 - 240 Volts 50-60 Hz

That means it will convert itself, you just need an adaptor.
Digital_Traveler is offline  
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,107
Mary Fran is right. Most portable computers these days have built in converters that "read" the voltage coming out of the wall. I had a Gateway probably 8 years ago that did that, and that is eons in the tech world.

Of course you should check with Sony to be certain.

What she will need is an adapter, which she can get at a luggage or travel store or Radio Shack. Most of the adapter kits will tell you which ones are good for which countries, or you can Google it.
Marilyn is offline  
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,181
So, Marilyn, do I need to take my toaster to Europe with me to get my money's worth from that 25 euro converter I bought in Florence?
Mary_Fran is offline  
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,107
Welllllll...there are a variety of electric devices that are smaller than a toaster that might come in handy on your next trip.
Marilyn is offline  
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 226

Modems work with Rj-11 plugs , as well, but an adapter will be necessary for phone line wall-plugs. They are available at any electronics store.

It could be useful to learn how to switch keyboard into another language code (çàéùöäüßêâ...)
LeCanard is offline  
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 167
No need to check with Sony, just take a look on the power will probably have a square box...if it does, it's probably dual voltage, but turn it over and if it says something like 110~240 then it is dual voltage and you don't need a converter.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop which is 5 years old (one of the first ones) and it is dual voltage, so I am pretty sure your sister's will be dual voltage as well.
benderbabe is offline  
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Posts: n/a
I agree with the above..that "box" incorporated into the power supply line tells you what you need to know about "conversion."
there was a recent thread on this same subject on which several people talked about using a converter for their various electronics "without any problem"...well, yes, since the laptop will almost undoubtedly accept anything from 110-220/240 using a separate converter didn't cause any "problems" because it was totally unnecessary!
Sometimes it is frustrating when folks simply do not listen...or perhaps they are too busy delving into their latest edition of the Inquirer!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 833

Okay, so pardon my ignorance and tell me how DO you switch yr keyboard to another language?

turn_it_on is offline  
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 263
There are several ways to enter foreign characters.

For Windows, switching keyboard is accomplishing by selecting the language from language selector icon found on your desktop toolbar. You don't see the language icon? You need to enable it by going to the control panel, then enable language you want to be able to use in Regional and Language setting. Not all languages are freebies that come with the windows.

I do not like this method as it radically changes the keyboard layout.

For MS Word, you can use the control sequences to add accents; e.g. control-comma then c to get ç. This is application specific.

Finally, there is a brute force method of using the ALT keystroke sequence plus numbers shown in the accesorries/character map (in Windows). e.g. "0231" while holding ALT gives ç.
nickn is offline  
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 226
Sorry , I have a mac but
nickn has given good ideas .
LeCanard is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Apr 4th, 2018 03:26 AM
May 19th, 2005 05:40 AM
Oct 28th, 2003 09:11 AM
May 7th, 2002 04:51 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information