Convents for accommodation??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of & found websites for B&B convents in Italy...Anyone done this? The prices seem quite cheap, and the only negative seems to be a curfew.
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:06 AM

I've stayed at convents in Rome and have generally been satisfied. Do bear in mind though that the accommodations are very simple - but they are also very clean. The breakfast may not be the greatest (better at some than at others), the rooms may or may not have private baths, the curfew may be very early (10:30 p.m.) or it may be as late as midnight.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Most of the websites I've found list the curfew time, some are midnight so I'm not too worried. As long as they are clean I'm happy. Any specific ones you'd recommend?
(Thanks)
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Here's a website in English that lists convents available. I know that this list is not exhaustive... there is one I know of in Florence that is not listed here.

www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Canuck, where are you going in Italy, and what months? That will affect recommendations, because of heat and air conditioning issues.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Right now I'm planning on next Spring-last 2 weeks of April, first 2 weeks of May. Hopefully spending time between Rome, Florence, Venice. Possibly a few side trips along the way, taking trains between cities.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:04 AM

The bad news is that it might already be too late for the best convents.

Someone I know tried to book for June in January at this Florence convent where I stayed, and failed because they were already booked:
http://www.fmmfirenze.it
This is cold in winter, which is why I asked about your dates.

Try Casa Il Rosario and Istituto Santa Giuliana in Rome (I haven't stayed there, but everyone has good things to say about them). There are several Venice options that I can't recall at the moment.

But get cracking now! You won't be able to have the luxury of a flexible itinerary if you want to stay in popular convents.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Oops, sorry I was alarmist. You said "next spring" - you should be fine then .
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:12 AM

The two convents I like best in Rome are Fraterna Domus and Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri, both for the location.

Fraterna Domus: Pros: Just steps away from Piazza Navona; many restaurants nearby as well as small food and wine shops for meals in the room; en suite bathroom but with old fashioned Italian shower (down a drain in the bathroom floor); air conditioning available for a surcharge (which I never used, having always been there in May); very inexpensive but very plain meals available. Cons: no elevator; very poor breakfast (two nice cafes within a few steps); only one nun with some knowledge of English (I speak Italian but most tourists do not).

Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri: Pros: Also within a few steps of Piazza Navona (but from the other side); elevator; many restaurants nearby as well as small food and wine shops for meals in the room; run by a charming American nun; reasonably good breakfast (but I always also had a cappuccino in a cafe). Cons: No single rooms with bath or even sink (although I never had to wait); no air conditioning; rooms to the front may be noisy (mine was to the back).

I can't remember the curfew for either, but I never got locked out.

Of the other two that I stayed at, one was at the top of the Spanish Steps (very early 10:30 p.m. curfew), and one was off the Via Cavour (a location that some people may like but I did not).
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone...I'm hoping that going cheaper on accommodations will allow for a longer trip!
Should I assume that prices go up as it gets closer to summer? Or maybe the nuns don't price gouge as bad as normal accommodations!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM

From what I can recall, I don't remember seeing either low season discounts or high season rate increases.