Search

convent stays?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
convent stays?

Anyone know of any nice convents in Naples with *possibly* a nice view of the bay?

Also, any recommendations for convent stays in Rome (with view)?

Will anyone be so kind to share experiences of Alma Domus in Siena (anybody stayed in one with view)? What's it like?

Thanks again!
Patricia

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 01:26 PM

I would suggest that you try to find a copy of "Bed and Blessings: Italy," written by two American women and published for Jubilee Year in 2000.

There are a number of convents in Rome that offer views, perhaps not always from the rooms but from terraces and rooftop gardens. Personally, I would prefer a convenient location to a view from a room where I probably spend very little time...

The book does not mention any convents in Naples; it mentions one each in Ravello and on Capri that have views. Both are more expensive than the "average" convent.

I quote the book about Alma Domus in Siena: "... in some [rooms] french doors open on to little balconies with grand views of the city and duomo. This sight is even more spectacular at night, when the cathedral is brilliantly illuminated." The book also suggests good walking shoes, as Siena is truly a hill town...
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Eloise,

Thank you for replying to my post. I actually already have this book and am not able to find any listings for convents in Naples. Do you know of any?

Anyone stayed in the Alma Domus and can give additional info?

Thanks!
Patricia
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Patricia,

My only source is the book that you already have.

There is another book on the market called "The Guide to Lodging in Monasteries in Italy"; I think I saw it today on www.travelguidewarehouse.com. (It also has its own Web site.) But be aware that there have been a number of reviews of the book that doubted whether the author had ever set foot in some of the places she recommends.

If you Google <Lodging>, <Monasteries> and <Italy>, it will bring up a Yahoo site with links to two Web sites about convent lodgings in Italy.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Doble_Vergasser

We have another book (monasteries actually). It lists two in Naples. The book is "Lodging in Italy's Monasteries", author is Eileen Barish, Anacapa Press, with a website monasteriesofitaly.com (haven't tried the website).

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I will definitely check out these sites and the search.

I am still interested in hearing if anybody has stayed in a Naples convent/monastery or even cheap pensione (with a view)?

Any pensiones and/or convents in Rome and Florence (with nice views) and where one can wake up to chiming of bells.

Thanks!
Patricia