Continental Train Schedules

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 05:44 PM
Bob Brown

Continental Train Schedules

For my trip this summer I have been checking train schedules from Paris eastward to Lausanne, and elsewhere.
So far I cannot find a site that posts schedules past the end of May. I have tried my favorite sites (Deutsche Bahn AG and the Swiss Bundesbahn) but nothing later than the end of May is shown. I have heard from a couple of European friends that major schedule changes are coming up at the end of May. Has anybody heard (read) any data recently that might help explain why schedules beyond the end of May are currently unavailable??

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 07:13 AM
Richard

Bob, Don't know for a fact, but the change from Standard to Daylight Savings might be a factor.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 02:03 PM
Bob Brown

I am not sure if daylight time explains the unavailability of train schedules for June onward because my calendar says that Sommerzeit begins THIS month.
I am under the impression that the USA starts daylight time on April 4.
But so far, neigher the Deutsche Bahn AG site or the Swiss Bundesbahn site posts any scheduling info for June and later.
It stonewalls it at the end of May.
In fact, I don't think that the last 2 days of May are included.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 03:50 PM
Deanna

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 03:53 PM
Deanna

Sorry, I hit the return instead of the tab button ... anyway, most of the train schedules will stay similar to what they are now. The major differences are that more trains are added, some trains may not run during certain holidays/weekends, and the times of the current trains may change days they operate. If you get a current schedule of when you plan to go, it should be a good estimate, with just a few more options added on for the summer months.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 03:53 PM
Deanna

Sorry, I hit the return instead of the tab button ... anyway, most of the train schedules will stay similar to what they are now. The major differences are that more trains are added, some trains may not run during certain holidays/weekends, and the times of the current trains may change days they operate. If you get a current schedule of when you plan to go, it should be a good estimate, with just a few more options added on for the summer months.

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 09:14 AM
Ben Haines

As people have said, these change little for summer. Unless you're in Uganda (are you ?) the reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. The March issue has extra pages to show summer schedules. The one big change is in the trains between Berlin and the Commonwealth oif Independent states.

The conference of European railways has two dates yearly for changing international train times, the last Sunday in May and the last Sunday in September. They change to allow for lessened business use, and increased leisure use.

Why the web sites have not got the information that Thomas Cooks has is not a question I can politely answer. That they have not is one of the reasons I use the book, not the sites.

Ben Haines, London

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 12:44 PM
victoria

I will need the summer info as well, but I believe there will be little change. So I will make my plans based on the current schedule and then print out the "journey guides" from DB for the various Swiss routes we'll use when the summer info becomes available (probably early May)?. I did this for our Germany trip a while back and it was very helpful as to train schedule, train #, restaurant or not, reserve or not, 2nd class only or not. And it was just a little easier to have the info in English.