Reload this Page >

Contemporary/street art in Moscow and Saint Petersburg

Old Sep 13th, 2020, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
I'm planning to apply for a study abroad program for summer '21 and have to choose between Moscow and St.Petersburg. Vladimir is also an option, but I'd rather stick with bigger cities.

It looks like the programs are almost identical academically, so I've been trying to focus on other criteria. I like contemporary art more than the classics - I'd appreciate any pointers to books, guides, or personal experiences comparing the two cities.

All best - and thanks!

Old Sep 13th, 2020, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I preferred Moscow to St. Petersburg, but I am not a fan of baroque, and St. Petersburg is resolutely baroque. I found more variety in Moscow. Of course, these days the train between the two only takes four hours.
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by trendycurrant View Post
...to apply for a study abroad program for summer '21
Well, the best of luck to you!
I know various study abroad programs have been acting all "business as usual", but unless State Dept downgrade their travel advisory for Russia and all the ex-Soviet Stans from level 4 to at least level 3, I don't see how they can pull it off.

Now, as to your question - both Moscow and Spb have quite a lot to offer in contemporary art department. Anything in particular you are interested in? Hate to tell you, if it's SotsArt you're looking for, most of the better-known pieces are all in foreign public and private collections.

Best,
napoxoguk

A reproduction from Erarta's Angel series

Bulatov (in new Tretyakov)

Old Sep 27th, 2020, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm. Yes, I did see the advisories.
The program I'm applying for is totally proceeding as though it's happening, though.

I looked up Erarta - looks very interesting, thanks for the suggestion!
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 08:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trendycurrant View Post
Hmmm. Yes, I did see the advisories.
The program I'm applying for is totally proceeding as though it's happening, though.

I looked up Erarta - looks very interesting, thanks for the suggestion!

I have a relative who has lived in St Petersburg for 20+years -- I can't visit him and he can't travel to the States. Unless things change a LOT there is no way a reputable course is planning for next year this far out.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
I have a relative who has lived in St Petersburg for 20+years -- I can't visit him and he can't travel to the States. Unless things change a LOT there is no way a reputable course is planning for next year this far out.
What they could do is go all-virtual when it comes closer to the date.
Most of them have earlier this year.
I was initially quite skeptical, but I know some people who "went" - and their feedback is overwhelmingly positive (which, of course, comes to be expected - any activity is more fun than being stuck inside these four walls).

I think I could throw together a bunch of links to virtual tours of contemporary art museums in Moscow and Spb...
Unfortunately, only some are fully digitized (and more interesting places like Garage, Winzavod, or even the new building of the Tretyakov are not).
​​​​​
In the meantime, here's a virtual tour of Saint Petersburg's Erarta (or some parts of it, anyway):

https://artsandculture.google.com/st...bCqUjXw&sv_z=2

And a couple of examples of street art in Moscow:

First phase murals at Atrium. If you like what you see, check out "pokras lampas", probably one of the better-known Russian street artists, on instagram

Photos not mine, but this is one of my favorite spots in downtown Moscow

For land art, check out "Arkhstoyanie", an annual land art festival held in a village about 3 hours away from Moscow. This piece was one of their centerpieces back in 2012 (?), but it's very much a living thing - art pieces come and go.
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 02:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Napoxoguk: Sure - they could do a virtual/online course . . . but the OP is specifically asking about which city to visit - in person.
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
. . . but the OP is specifically asking about which city to visit - in person.
Agreed.
I just thought the OP was looking for "pointers" and, since my take is almost as good as anyone's (and my personal bias is clearly towards Moscow), they might just as well want to make an informed decision based on what they can see online while preparing for their trip.

For instance, I would've never considered visiting something like Tsereteli's museum until I watched someone's youtube video - and actually liked what I saw.

That said, like someone else commented above, wherever you end up (fingers crossed), the other city is just a train ride away. No rights or wrongs here, only personal preferences.