Contacts or glasses

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 02:04 PM
Dawn

Contacts or glasses

I have just started enjoying the Fodor's forum - thanks to everyone for their funny and informative postings. I did a search on the words "Glasses" and "Contacts (lenses)" and found nothing, so if there is a thread please point me towards it.
I read in a travel guide that I might have difficulty with my contact lenses in Italy and should bring a pair of glasses. I was planning on bringing spare contacts and my solution, but not glasses. Has anyone ever experienced a problem with their contacts in another country? Thanks!

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 02:10 PM
Chad

Dawn,

I don't see why you'd have a problem as long as you don't switch to a different saline solution. I took a different one because it was in a smaller bottle and I was trying to pack as light as possible. I had more trouble with my contacts than usual, but for no reason other than the solution.

Chad

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 02:25 PM
elvira

I don't think it's so much the country as it is climate/environment. I can't wear contacts in the Alps...or Denver because of the altitude. On the other hand, I can wear them in New York or Paris with the crummy air, but can't in the Southwest (too dry). We were in Milan, and none of the contact lens wearers had any problems.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 03:16 PM
Jen

I had a lot of troube wearing my contact lenses both times I was in London. The pollution from cars and buses was so bad, I couldn't wear them for more than a couple of hours at time. I would definitely bring a pair of glasses if you plan on being in a large city for more than a day or so.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 03:31 PM
Monica Richards

I wore my contacts in Italy with no more than the usual amount of problems, but I recommend bringing your glasses for the plane if nothing else. More than 4 hours on a plane with my contacts in, and my eyes start to kill me!

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 05:24 PM
wendy

Definitely take your glasses, just in case. What if you need to get up for the bathroom in the middle of the night? You'll want your glasses to throw on so you don't stumble around an unfamiliar area.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 09:41 AM
lynn

Greetins -

I wear the extended wear contacts and always bring 2 spare pairs and my glasses. I hate my glasses but once, on a 5 day trip here in the States, I lost the contacts I was wearing on a water slide and had to use my spare the 1st day. Then, for the rest of the trip I was paranoid something would happen to that pair and I'd be stuck wearing my glasses. Now, I always bring 2 back up pairs and my glasses. When all else fails, you want to at least be able to see everything!

It's better to be prepared. They don't take up that much room.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 11:32 AM
fran

To All Above:

If you travel often I highly recommend disposable, extented wear contacts. Altho I take them out at nite, it is nice to know I can wear them to sleep (on a plane) with no problems. Because you throw them away when they become uncomfortable, you always have a fresh pair to put in. I have no problems in Denver or any other ski area, nor in the Southwest, or any large city. I wear them easily for 18 hr days anywhere in the world. However, I do take along an extra pair and glasses for those nites in an unfamiliar room/cabin.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 11:36 AM
fran

Dawn,
I leave for Florence, Rome, Naples, etc. tomorrow, email direct and I'll let you know first hand how my lenses did. Especially since I will be flying all nite and hopefully, sleeping.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 02:07 PM
Caryn

I've worn contacts for 15 years and have no idea what you mean by problems. If you have problems at home, then you will have problems anywhere. For example, my boyfriend just can't stand them. I, on the other hand, don't even know they're there and never have a moment's problem, knock on wood. I would definitely bring my glasses for emergencies and on the plane when you try to sleep. I ALWAYS bring extra lenses when I leave home. Nothing in the world could ruin my vacation more than losing a contact lens since I am well beyond legally blind without them and never, ever wear my glasses except the 5 minutes before I go to sleep. Also, bring your own solution b/c it's very expensive in Europe. However, in emergencies, they do have all the same major brands. You shouldn't have a problem.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 06:50 AM
David

Problems with contacts while traveling? Hmmmmm, never thought about it. I've been wearing extended wear disposables for years throughout all my trips and have never had a problem. This includes trips to Hawaii, Bermuda, Grand Cayman, Paris, London, and just about everywhere stateside. I even wear them when I SCUBA dive. I think most problems from contacts come from taking them out and cleaning them. I never seem to be able to get my hands/ fingers clean enough, or get all the cleaner off the contact lens- which both lead to uncomfortable lens. So I feel like the "cure" for this is to leave them in for as long as possible while still being safe, never using the cleaning compound, but instead throw out the lens after about 2 weeks. Too much info? Anyway,...

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 04:29 AM
martha

I'm a gas-permeable woman myself (well, my lenses are). I usually take out my lenses before I get on the plane and don't try to wear my contacts for more than a couple hours on the first day, but other than that it's business as usual. I like having my glasses because my big fear is getting an eye infection and not being able to wear my lenses.
PS Hope you weren't too intimidated by all those previous postings--this is actually a great question to pose to the collective Fodorite wisdom (?)

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 10:03 AM
Monica Richards

Looking at the range of responses, it seems clear that whether you will have problems or not depends on what kind of contacts you wear. I'm stuck in gas perms, so dry air wreaks havoc with my eyes. You people who can wear extended wear lenses certainly are the lucky ones. However, I think it's always best to bring glasses just in case. You would hate to have your vacation ruined because you couldn't see due to an eye infection, scratch on your cornea or other problem. Bringing your glasses ensures this won't happen!

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 02:16 PM
dan woodlief

I guess it may depend on the person. I hate my old glasses, so I always take my contacts. They really get dry here at home in North Carolina. I am always putting in rewetting drops. They were much much better in Europe, especially in the Swiss Alps. And I am not staring at a computer screen all day there.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 02:34 PM
Chloe

the worst thing you can do is wear your contacts on a transatlantic flight — they'll dry out and really bother your eyes.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 03:34 PM
dan woodlief

I agree. I always take mine out half way to Europe and then put them back in as we reach land.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 07:28 AM
cheryl

I wear soft contact lenses (not the extended wear), and on my first two trips to Europe, I had problems wearing my lenses more than a few hours a day. As I've been wearing contacts for 20 years without problems, I hadn't expected this. However, on my trip to Italy last month, I didn't have any significant problems. I always take my glasses with me, though, you just never know when you could have a problem, and as several people mentioned, glasses are better for the long flight.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 12:07 PM
Cloo

It depends if you'll be in a big city or not. In Firenze and Roma there was a lot of vehicle pollution. Also, a lot of people smoke, so if you're not use to being around smokers, the smoke may irritate your contacts.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 11:10 PM
Kaja

I am using one-day-contacts. This means that every morning I put on brand new lenses, and throw them away after I have used them. This is very healthy for you eyes and harder to get an eye infection. I used them in Beijing, which is a very polluted city and had no problem with my lenses. I always bring glasses when I'm travelling and always use glasses when I'm flying since the air is very dry. Also, when you have one-day-lenses you don't have to worry about losing them and you don't need any soultion for them! This is in my opinion the best choise for travelling.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 01:46 PM
Dawn

Everyone,
Thanks for all of the postings. It is a great idea to bring glasses for the flight and the unforseeable (no pun intended) problems with city air. I really didn't want to spend the $$ to get new glasses in my current prescription unless a lot of people reported problems. I never have difficulty with my contacts, so I'll just dig out my old glasses, cross my fingers and spend the money on the gelati I've heard so much about. Happy Travels!