Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Consumer Beware: Credit Card Numbers on Receipts.

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please note that, unlike the US, in most parts of Europe (France, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, etc) you complete credit card number will be printed on your hotel/shopping receipt.

We found that most of the time, not always, our card # was printed. No *** or xxxx, the full number.

Keep an eye on it...
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Thanks for that e17345, I'm really surprised to hear that, as here in Ireland, the last four digits are usually marked xxxx, and any store I visited in Paris, was the same, but I'll keep an eye out this time round,
Thanks
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:18 AM

To be really, really safe, you should always eat the Cardmember Copy.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:18 AM

I never noticed the whole number printed, but definitely saw that the parts that were blocked out varied a lot, so that, if somebody had 2 or 3 of your receipts, they could piece the whole thing together. Just another good reason to keep your receipts.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:24 AM

A helpful reminder although it won't do much to prevent that worked who has already copied your entire number prior to giving you the receipt.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:32 AM

The second you hand your card over for payment you no longer have 'control' over your account number or the 3-digit 'security' code on the back. It doesn't really matter what is on the receipt.

Monitor your statement online and report any suspicious activity to your bank, just like you should at home where receipts don't show the whole number.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

oh, sure, in reality, once you hand your CC to someone, they can do whatever they want with it (once you walk away

My husband and I have been traveling around Europe, and noticed that, although not always, the number was printed in full.

My point is that I tend to just throw receipts away, particularly those from small purshases...those are the ones that may be of interest to certain individuals.

While we cant prevent it, we can at least be careful.

Just thought I would share.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I never toss my cc receipts 317345 until I get my cc statement and check the charges against the receipts. Than I shred the receipts. But thanks for the reminder, it is always good to be aware that when travelling procedures are often different.

May I suggest you keep all of your receipts until you get your statement so that you can verify all the charges are correct as it is impossible to remember every charge one makes. Best wishes.
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Most European credit cards have chips, so the card number alone is useless without a PIN, although it's still a bad idea to print the card number on the receipt.
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Someone suggested somewhere to keep a black marker with you to block out the #'s on your receipt, in case you lose it.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Is what I said unclear? Do you all understand that there is exactly ZERO risk (to you) from someone stealing your credit card number? It's the merchants and card issuers that are at risk.

The worst that can possibly happen is that you'll have to call the company and bounce the charge. Period.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Look, this post was not to lecture people. Just a tip. So take it or leave it.

Old May 11th, 2006, 07:52 AM

True, but that doesn't make it any less of a pain while you're travelling (having to call, cancel the card, not have that card and having to go to the backup that you hopefully have, etc.). Shouldn't be a huge concern, but it bears keeping in mind just a bit.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Are we talking about losing a card? I thought this was about having someone copy down your number from a receipt. You wouldn't know if your number had been used until you got your statement - thus there is no hassle with getting cards replaced et cetera ad nauseum.

Everyone who works in a business establishment that has a merchant terminal can see the card numbers of every transaction that goes through the machine. If they use the old knuckle-buster imprinter, they can look at the merchant copy of the charge slips.

The capture of credit card numbers poses ZERO risk to the cardholder.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM

e17345
Thanks for this tip. This is good advice. I have noticed the same thing myself. Unfortunately it is like that in some places in the US as well. It has been suggested to mention this to vendors who have not changed their receipts over to the last 4 numbers.
I collect my receipts and carry them as securely as my cards.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:29 AM

True, you won't know, but if the card company notices unusual activity (not just being used in a foreign country, but buying lots of jewelry, stereo equipment, whatever, in a short period), some will suspend the account (or call you to check, and when you're not at home, suspend it). Then it's basically the same as having lost the card.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Now, think. How is anyone going to use your credit card number to rip you off? By walking into a store with it written on a piece of paper and buying €1.000 worth of jewelry, electronics, and gourmet vegetables?
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:03 AM

I've also noticed this in Europe & I don't like it, although I still use my credit cards. Once you hand your card over, they can write your number & the 3- digit code on the back, then go on the internet & make various purchases - so I think there definitely IS risk there...
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM

No, there isn't. First of all, most merchants will not ship merchandise to addresses that don't match the cardholder's billing address. During the authorization process, they send in the address you typed in, and if it doesn't match your address of record, a negative autorization is returned. If a merchant ships to a different address, they are opening themselves up to eating the transaction (see below).

Second, if a merchant is stupid enough to ship to a different address and you don't sign for the merchandise, you dispute it and it gets back-charged. Your Cardholder Agreement says that the merchant must have your signature either on a charge slip or a delivery document in order for a charge to hold up. If the card issuer investigates a dispute and finds that the goods didn't go to your address of record and the merchant can't produce your signature, they back-charge the merchant.

(If you want to preclude this possibility altogether, you can scratch the CVV off the back of your card.)

NEXT!
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM

In UK only the 4 last numbers of the card are printed on receipt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -