Reload this Page >

Connemara National Park worth doing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Kerry

I will heading to Ireland on an 8-day trip in mid-September. Will be driving the whole time (yes, I know, but I've done it before & love it <BR> <BR>Want opinions on whether it's worth stopping briefly in Galway on the way to Connemara National Park & spending a full day exploring the Park. Already know the visitor's center will be closed, but don't know if it's worth driving all the way up there for the scenery. Otherwise, will be spend the extra day in Galway (for a total of 2 days in Galway) before heading South for Co. Kerry. Any thoughts?

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Beth Anderson

HI, <BR> <BR>well, it depends on what you are more interested in. great nightlife & shops, or quiet natural beauty. It is GORGEOUS with a capital G up there. Maybe play it by ear, if it is raining, it may be an easier decision? <BR> <BR>What a choice - more time in Galway or more time seeing Connemara. hmmm... it's a toughie. Are you spending both evenings in Galway? <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:41 PM
kam

Combine your visit to Connemara National Park with a visit to Kylemore Abbey (lovely) and then come back via Recess, Maam Cross, Oughterard through the Twelve Bens mountains. In Letterfrack is a wonderful Avoca Handweavers shop. In Oughterard is Aughnanure castle--pretty and small--good rest stop. That's a full day's trip out from Galway and back. Spend an additional day in Galway City or if the weather is lovely, consider ferrying out to the Aran Is. We have done 3 two week driving trips in Ireland and I agree with you--we love it too! Roads keep getting better and better over the years but still watch for sheep when you get to Connemara! Enjoy. P.S. Why will the Visitor's Center be closed? It was open last October when we were there. Might want to check it, but the park is not worth a full day--combined with the rest it is.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 07:42 AM
Kerry

Beth & Kam, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the feedback! Actually we were thinking of only stopping in Galway briefly on our way to Connemara. Looking at staying in a castle in Connemara (sorry can't remember the name). Then spending the next full day in and around Connemara Nat'l Park before heading down to the Ring of Kerry. Sounds like we might want to consider spending an extra night near there. <BR> <BR>Will have to double check the info I had on the Park and the Visitors Center - thanks for the heads up. <BR> <BR>Any B&B's you can recommend to stay at in Kerry, Cork or Dublin would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks again

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 11:27 AM
Christopher Woolson

Kerry: <BR> <BR>If you're looking for B&Bs in Dublin, I want to suggest heading a bit south to Dun Laoghere where you'll find MORE B&Bs to choose from, better availability and just a DART ride back into the city. It definitely beats driving around in Dublin. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR> Christopher Woolson <BR> http://www.flamingo-travel.com

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 11:56 AM
kam

In Connemara is Ballynahinch Castle which is now a hotel. It's quite nice, fairly small and not as expensive as some of the big ones like Ashford. Or you could stay in Clifden which is the "capital" of Connemara where I would highly, highly, highly recommend Mal Dua Guest House. Wonderful and well priced. They have a website. Galway is my favorite city in Ireland, but it is a city. Most of the town is a pedestrian zone so it's fun to walk in to shop and eat at small restaurants. But, if cities aren't your pleasure I would stop in Galway for a few hours and then drive up toward Connemara. If you want to shop stop at Mairtun Standuns on the main road in Spiddal going up the coast. The best prices and best quality of "typical Irish goods"--ie sweaters, hats, etc. We spent 5 days in Galway and Connemara last year on a 3rd time return, but it's the area where my ancestors came from and so has special meaning. A good lunch stop is the cafe at Kylemore Abbey--food cooked by the nuns, or at least under their supervision. If you're a photographer, this area can be heaven! Sorry, can't help with Dublin---I really don't like it.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:07 PM
Kerry

Kam, <BR> <BR>Thanks to you, and everyone here, for the great advice. I am a photographer so I will definately head to Connemara. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for all the great advice!