Connemara loop day-trip

Apr 17th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Connemara loop day-trip

calling all experts on travel in ireland ...looking to find out how long it would take for the following day-trip on a Sunday in June: taking N59 out of Galway past Quiet Man Stone Bridge, getting off on R341? to Roundstone, then to Clifden (back on N59?), on to Kylemore Abbey, to Cong, to Cregg Castle(just north of Galway on N17).
Apr 17th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Hi Chip:

That would be a VERY full day and it would depend on how much stopping that you did. Though I've never stayed at Cregg Castle (and I will some day), they are known for having evening entertainment and you would want to make sure you are back in time for that. Yes, you could drive the route, but you might not have a lot of time for stopping. I drove Clifden to Galway with a stop in Roundstone at the music shop and a trip to Inishnee. Had a snack in a pub near Costelloe. Left at about 9:00 and arrine in Oranmore in the mid-late afternoon (3-4 I think). Didn't do much stopping because it was raining the whole day.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Bill
Apr 19th, 2003, 04:57 AM

just a note about Cregg Castle - be sure to book the dinner! The food is fantastic and the ambiance superb...but you MUST book ahead! When we were there last year, we were the only guests who had arranged for dinner...and the other guests were green with envy! Also, let them know you were counting on some music - if the family has other plans for the evening they may arrange for a friend to come instead, so that you aren't disappointed!
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:56 AM
KEC

Hi Chip,
We did the Connemara loop roundtrip (from Galway) in November. It took the entire day (we left early in the morning, and were probably back by 8:00). We stopped in lots of places (Roundstone, Clifden, Kylemore Abbey, etc). The roads will probably be more crowded in June, but you will have lots more daylight than we did.

Enjoy the drive and your trip. Ireland is gorgeous!

Keri
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

thanks all, we are really looking forward to our stay at Cregg Castle, they have invited us to join them for a session in town, if the timing works out. Sounds like we had better book dinner!
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:15 PM

chip

the estimates you've gotten are good ones. We drove from Galway out to Roundstone through CLifden and back to Galway in about 5 hours with lots of stops and back roads. Didn't go onto Kylemore although I really wanted to. Our loop went out of Galway past Spiddal and then back into Galway on the main road.
Have a great trip!
wendy