Connemara and Clifden Ireland B&B's

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connemara and Clifden Ireland B&B's

Hello, looking for news on B&B's in this area and can drive from Shannon to Clifden in one day is this doable? Or will we be dead tired?

We need a twin room under $100Euros a night. It would be nice to find one with an email address so we confirm before hand. I've seen tons of recommendations in the Galway area but not as many as here.

Thanks, Julie

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Shannon to Clifden can easily be done in a day. If you don't take the scenic route, it's probably not more than 3 hours. If you do take the scenic route...well, it could take 3 days.
Whether or not it's a good idea may depend on your level of sleep deprivation when you arrive at Shannon and how comfortable you are with driving in Ireland.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:29 PM

It's a great drive.

The Dun Ri' in Clifden is exceptional - thye have their own web site and Michael is a great host. If you shorten your trip Ennis is phenomenal.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:50 PM

Julie,
The drive from Shannon to Clifden is relatively short and easy if you stay on the highway. We made the trip in one long day via the Cliffs of Moher and were pretty beat by the time we got to Clifden.

There's a website you can visit (address below) with info on the Connemara area, which includes Clifden. Friends have stayed at the Buttermilk Lodge and liked it. Easy walk into town. http://www.connemara.net/

Clifden and the surrounding area are beautiful....I'm sure you'll have a great time. Good pubs in Clifden!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you these sound good, I think we will stop in either Ennis or Lisdoonvarna first and then go on,

Thanks we are really looking forward to this trip. I see there is horseback riding too.

Julie
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:34 PM

Julie,

You certainly could make the drive from Shannon to Clifden, but I wouldn't recommend it. Besides, what's the rush? You're on vacation.

Rather than hauling out to west Connemara directly from the airport (given that you'll be tired, this will be a drag of a drive), take a leisurely drive from Shannon to the east Clare town of Corofin. Here you'll find a "back door" village that features some terrific historic sites along with a most distinctive B & B called Clifden House. It's part of the Hidden Ireland group of accommodations, and it's well worth seeking out. Check out http: //www.indigo.ie/hiddenireland/9.html

Following a couple days at Clifden House, where you'll be nicely situated to explore the Burren region, head for County Galway and Clifden. I'm of the view that Clifden itself lacks personality, but it is nicely placed and offers a good many amenities. One of these is the The Quay House, another member of the Hidden Ireland group. This very attractive accommodation is located just outside downtown Clifden, and you can learn more at http://www.indigo.ie/hiddenireland/30.html

Before I sign off, do consider another B & B, located on Clifden's Lower Sky Road. It's called Dolphin Beach, and it's owned and run by the same family that owns the previously mentioned Quay House. At Dolphin, you'll have easy access to a lovely beach and smashing ocean views. Learn more at connemara.net/dolphinbeachhouse

Best of luck.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:54 PM

We really enjoyed the Mal Dua house in Clifden. The couple who run it were helpful and friendly. Our hostess cooked up the best full Irish breakfast we've had in our travels, the room was huge and clean, and the view looked out onto the mountains to the rear. It should be close to your budget, depending on when you plan to travel.

www.maldua.com
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:16 AM

I second David's referral of the Dolphin Beach house as the location is just wonderful RE: scenary and closeness to town. But the price will be about the 120Euro level depending on the time of year. It was worth the price, though, as the rooms are wonderfully comfortable being modern yet antiquish with a view from one room over the bay with a little patio. Ah, what a nice memory. Save up and stay here. Good Luck. PS If you are planning to stay around Clifden for a couple of days then definitely drive onto there from the airport; otherwise, break up the trip either in West Clare or around Galway.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:22 AM

http://www.connemara.net/eldons/

Eldon's Hotel in Roundstone. I haven't stayed in the hotel, but have eaten in the restaurant, and wandered around the hotel a bit. It's 100 euro in high season (for two people). Roundstone's a nice little town, and not touristy at all. And we really enjoyed the food and service at Eldon's.

The drive from Shannon is fine if the weather's good, but miserable and long if it's raining and dark.