Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

connection time Athens-Santorini, will I make it?

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:42 AM
crk

We (2 adults)are flying into Athens on a Saturday morning arriving 10:05, and want to go straight on to Santorini. There is a 12:20pm flight leaving for Santorini. Could we make it? How long does it take to get through customs etc.,is the airport small enough to be able to get from one terminal to the next easily? Do you have to go through additional security check points? This will be a seperate itinerary-so we have to pick up our bags in Athens...The next flight leaves at 3pm, I'd rather not hang around the airport for 5 hours...Any info on your Athens airport experience would be appreciated.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:54 PM
topper

up to the top

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Kay

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember there being an international terminal and a separate domestic terminal. This would mean transferring from one to the other but it still seems to me you would have enough time. Anyone else?

The following site may have the answer:
www.greektravel.com
Kay

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:01 AM
michael

the old airport had separate terminals, the new one doesn't. There are no special security measures beyond the normal ones. But it is a much larger airport than the old one. If you land on time or within 1/2 hour you will be fine. If you are an hour or more late, and you need to collect bags and recheck in, you won't make it. My experience is that you can probably book on the 12.20 and if nec transfer to the 3pm at little extra cost (ask the airline - is it Aegean? if it is Olympic then you should be able to get a single ticket for all parts of your journey, and therefore not need to reclaim baggage in Athens).

For info on the airport see:
www.athensairport-2001.gr/

For info on Greece generally see
www.i-escape.com/greece.php

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Joelle

My memories of Athens airport is that it takes quite a while to collect your luggage...
To be sure, I'd book (unfortunately) the 3 PM flight and would try to board on the 12.20 flight, if everything is on time.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Mangette

The new airport is quite efficient. It took only 15 minutes to get our luggage since we left the plane. I think everything depends on when you have to check in for your Sandorini flight. If you have to be just one hour before then you have plenty of time

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 08:53 PM
george

With regard to checking luggage directly to final destination, we had no trouble checking our luggage in Santorini for an Olympic flight directly through to London on British Air, even though we booked the tickets separately.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Karyn

we just did a similar connction, but were connecting to Crete. the Delta flight arrived at 10:05 which left enough time to transfer to the lower level for the domestic flight to Crete on Olympic. We did not check luggage.