Confused about the Metro-RER @ CDG

May 17th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Confused

Confused about the Metro-RER @ CDG

Hi, I'd prefer to take public transportation into Paris but I'm a bit confused. Does the metro actually run out to CDG or is it a shuttle to the metro? I'm arriving at CDG2, Terminal A. Does anyone know where I go from there? I'm later flying on to a European destination so I'm going out CDG1. I did check the CDG website, it said take the "blue shuttle", that's what threw me off. Is it still about 49FF per person?

Thank you SOOOO much!

May 17th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Maurice

Have fun! Hope they're not on strike there!
The different terminals, etc. in CDG seem to be connected by a series of red and blue shuttle busses. (Free, if I remember right). We got into the donut terminal, down to ground level, and out to a bus stop just outside. Wait for the right bus (ask "air-ey-air"?) and it drops you off next to the station.
Then, your next challenge - ask for the ticket in French and figure out the money.
Baggage handlers were on strike in May/99 when we arrived. KLM flew in their own handlers with us, and we got out, went down the steps to the tarmac to pick up our luggage, and up the other stairs into the loading gate. The terminal was azoo, luggage and people piled everywhere... then the museum workers were on strike...
Still, it was a fantastic city!!!

May 17th, 2001, 06:04 PM
StCirq

In terminal 2, go to Door 6 in Hall B(I sure hope they haven't changed it since I got my CDG map last summer - check with the information desk). Take the Air France shuttle bus there to the RER. Take the RER to métro station St-Michel, which will let you out right near Notre Dame (you didn't say where you're going in central Paris, so that's the closest I can come - perhaps you need to make a connection on the métro to some other stop).
I don't know what the "blue shuttle" is - sorry.

May 17th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Fred

l seem to recall that now the RER runs directly to the airport but I'm not 100% sure. At any rate, all you have to ask at the information desk. For more Paris information e-mailme.

May 17th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Jim Rosenberg

The RER comes right into Terminal 2 and if you should need a shuttle from Terminal A, it may be the ADP (Aerports de Paris) shuttle? This would be the shuttle to take to Terminal 1, as well, on your return. The RER ticket price was still 49 FF earlier this year, so I doubt that it has changed. Keep in mind that you probably aren't going to want to take the RER if you have a lot of luggage, since that is going to be a drag when you start lugging it around in the RER/Metro station on the other end. In that case, I would recommend an Air France shuttle into Paris with some fixed stops at 65FF or the KLM shuttle at 90FF which will drop you off directly at your hotel. You can get info on these options upon your arrival. Depending on how many people are traveling in your party, you may even decide that a taxi isn't too much of a splurge. Happy Trails!

May 17th, 2001, 09:29 PM
Chantal

StCirq: Best not to give advice when you have none to offer. If you're not sure and you don't know and you've never done it yourself, why confuse anyone?

May 17th, 2001, 11:23 PM
PatheticChantal!

Chantal, if you are going to insist on acting like a 10 year old could you at least target your pointless attacks at someone who wasn't giving any advice like Fred who saw a need to add that he wasn't even sure the RER runs to the airport (& of course feel free to email him!) after StCirq & Maurice both gave detailed advice.

May 18th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Confused

Thank you all for your help! I think maybe I've got it now. Jim, thanks for the extra info about the Air France shuttle, that may be the way to go.

May 18th, 2001, 06:49 AM
elvira

This site should help, too (good maps):

http://www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01_an.nsf/$$Affich?ReadForm&cle=X500520521

May 18th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Deb

Confused, I went through this last year and thanks to a very helpful French woman returning from San Diego it all worked out well. First thing-stop at the ATM- then get on an Air France bus which will take you to a metro stop. I got off at the Arc de Triomphe only because I was told that was my best bet(not sure on that part)Get on the metro to the stop your hotel tells you is closest. don't be afraid to ask for help.

May 18th, 2001, 02:49 PM
LLM

I depart for Paris myself on 5/24 and am planning to take the RER and metro to/from the airport and all over Paris while I am there. I have found some great web sites to share which should address most of your concerns. The first is for public transit in Paris (it even navigates your route for you); the second url is a site where you can buy a metro pass before you get to France (standard delivery to you in only 2 biz days! It's wonderful!)

http://www.ratp.fr/Eng/index.htm

https://www.ticketsto.com/index2.cfm

Also, Fodors Paris 2001 book is the best - I would invest if you haven't already. It answered every question I had.

Feel free to contact me directly with any other questions!

May 18th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Caitlin

There are RER Line B stations at both CDG! and CDG2. If you are collecting checked luggage, thesre should be signs (though they're not that great with signs at CDG) directing you; regardless, you should feel comfortable just asking sn airline employee how to get to the RER; they make a point to hire people who speak English.

If you take the RER to/from the airport, here's my best tip for negotiating it with luggage: Get on at either the very front (first door, first car) or very rear (last door, last car) of the train. You will be in an open vestibule with four fold-down seats. The seats are naturally not as spacious or comfortable as in the car, but they're fine for the ride into the city. More important, you will have plenty of room to put your luggage on the floor, tucked under you, between your knees, whatever. It will be much more comfortable than cramming the luggage with you into your seat. Unless you are either packing very light or can get to your hotel from an RER Line B station with no transfers, you may find it a royal pain to have to cart your luggage through a labyrinth of hallways and up and down long flights of stairs to transfer to the Metro or another RER line at St. Michel or Chatelet/Les Halles. Otherwise, using the RER is easy and cheap.