Paraiso del Mar in Nerja-anyone?

Feb 21st, 2001, 11:52 AM
Monica

Paraiso del Mar in Nerja-anyone?

Has anyone ever stayed there and if so what do you think? Is it reasonable? Clean? Does anyone have a phone number or Fax or e-mail? Thank you very much in advance.

Feb 21st, 2001, 03:46 PM
Maribel

Monica,
Can't help you with your other questions, but here's the phone:
Fax: 952522309
My "Official Spain Hotel Guide 2000" says 2 star, 24 hr. r. service, bar, coffee shop, sauna, 2 pools, some rooms with jacuzzi and balcony, beach access, sat. TV, h. dryers, mini bars, and is located on Prolongacion de Carabeo next to the Parador. A double went for 14,000 pts. in season, 12,000 off last yr.

Feb 21st, 2001, 04:52 PM
Cathy

Monica,
I just booked two nights in May at the Hotel Paraiso del Mar. It wasn't my first choice, but I was getting desperate! The parador is closed until June (or so I was told), the Balcon de Europe was booked, Hotel Carabeo never responded, and Hotel Plaza Cavana was booked! If it wasn't for Judi, on this board, I wouldn't have know about Hotel Paraiso to even try it. We really wanted seaside, or as close as possible, and this fits the bill. I feel comfortable with it since it was rec., vs. just pulling a name, blind, from one of my guide books. Oh, if you'd like to email them : [email protected]
Good luck!

Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:16 AM
Monica

Thank you Maribel I will fax them and see if they have availability. Cathy glad you were able to get rooms...I too wanted a seaside hotel but it seems our choices are slim. Judy is a great help. She mentioned hearing something about the Carabeo being closed until march or April. Therefore explaining why no response from them. When are you going in May...I will be there on May 22,23,24.

Feb 25th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Cathy

We will be in Nerja May 11 and 12 - a week or so before you! It's good to know a "reason" why we didn't hear anything from Hotel Carebo...I'll check it out when I am there for future reference!

Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:23 AM
Doc

I'll be there at exactly the same time as you - May 11. We booked the Hostal Marissal. It gets nothing burt rave reviews on Rick Steves Grafitti Wall

Mar 2nd, 2001, 09:40 AM
celeste

I just called Hotel Carabeo and was informed that the hotel no longer takes reservation directly. It's now being handled by an agent in UK and when I called the UK agent I was told that there is a 3-day minimum and rate is $217/person (3 days). The rate is for a regular room (facing the street, breakfast & parking additional). I just decided to stick with Praiso del Mar, their rate is more reasonable.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:37 PM
Judi

Well, the Hotel Carabeo has suddenly gotten pricey! I always recommend it because it was reasonable with a great location. Colleen posted last October that she stayed in that same street- facing room for $67 and I think breakfast was included. It is English owned. Perhaps so many Fodorites called that they decided to turn it over to an agency and make more money.
I think you will be happy with the Paraiso del Mar as my friend who spends a lot of time in Nerja says it is a very friendly family run hotel with a wonderful location on the cliff top overlooking the sea. I will check it out next month and it may end up being the one I recommend rather than the Hotel Carabeo.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:07 PM
celeste

I'll post also when we come back end of April. I faxed Hotel Carabeo 3x and finally called to inquire about the status of our request. Carabeo might have been highly recommended in the past, but they could be more responsive to their customers. Judi, do you think that rate is reasonable for that place? I noticed that it has **, don't you think that's too high?

Mar 3rd, 2001, 05:50 AM
judi

Celeste, I do think $145/nt for just a little room without a sea view is too much, especially for April. The location is great but the Paraiso del Mar is only about a five minute walk farther from the center of town...and it is a pretty walk. I'm sure you will be very happy at the Paraiso. Have a great trip!

May 18th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Judi

I checked out the Paraiso del Mar when I was in Nerja recently. It is a beautiful converted villa. The location is great; it is overlooking the sea with steps to the beach. It is a short walk to the Balcon and is near some good restaurants. I have received positive feedback from Fodorites who have stayed there. I took a couple of pictures and scanned them so if anyone would like to see the pictures I will be happy to send them to you. BTW, the parador is gutted and I think it will be a long time before it is finished. The Paraiso is right next to the parador on the side closest to the old town.