Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Confused about nudity in Budapest baths!
Notices

Confused about nudity in Budapest baths!

Mar 5th, 1999, 07:32 AM
Zoe

Confused about nudity in Budapest baths!

I'm going to Budapest on April 16 for the weekend. I'd love to soak in one of the famous bath houses and the Gellert baths look amazing. But there's one thing I'm not sure about: the guide books say that the the single-sex baths lead off from the main swimming pool, which is great as I'd like to have a swim there too. But I've also heard that people go nude, which is fine in the single sex areas....but I'm not really wild about baring all in a mixed swimming pool!

So what's the deal? If you go for a swim, do you then strip off when you disappear into the single-sex area? Or do people just let it all hang out in the pool too?!

I'd be grateful if someone could fill me in!

Mar 5th, 1999, 09:55 AM
Sandy

Hi, at the Hotel Gellert, the pool is outside and I doubt if you would want to take a dip in April, it will still be pretty cold and I don't even think it will be open.

The single-sex spa is mostly nude, mostly older people (we did see young children w/grandparents). Maybe one person will be in a swimsuit and she will be a tourist and look very much out of place.

It's a fun, relaxing, and a cultural experience . . . after the first 5 min, you won't even notice. Go for it! We did, loved it, and went back twice!

Mar 8th, 1999, 02:22 AM
Zoe

Sandy,

Thank you for clearing that up. I shall certainly go now--my aching joints are crying out for it!

Search this Thread