Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the culinary specialties you love in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 07:46 PM
tina

I know some of the special and traditional foods in France are frog's legs, snails, baguette, brie and camembert. But what are some of your favorites when in Paris? I am going in two weeks for two weeks and already anxious for my first taste of Paris.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 06:21 AM
John

Magret Canard, fresh foie gras, spit roasted lamb, oysters and the large plat de mer platters with a variety of shellfish come to mind. Plat du frommage and profitteroles for desert. And Brouilly (beaujolais) wine.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 06:37 AM
Monica

Hello Tina, <BR> <BR>Another great dessert besides profitteroles is creme brule!

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 07:37 AM
jeff

Tina, I love anything at the patisserie. French desserts are out of this world. Among my favorites are creme brulee (afore mentioned) and flan. Main courses that I love are Coq au vin and Boeuf Bourguignonne. It's also fun to just walk down the Champs Elysses eating a baguette with brie.

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 08:12 AM
jeanne

Wow! What a great topic. If the weather is still cool, tyr some of the great "heavy" winter specialities like cassoulet (a stew with duck, sausage and white beans), and raclette (chees from the Savoie melted and served with potatoes and "cold cuts"). <BR> <BR>Also, I have said this before-but not all bakeries are created equal in Paris. If you really want excellent bread and pastries, read up on the really fine boulangeries of Paris. In your neighborhood, look for the long lines and ask your hotel front desk where the best bakery nearby is-the French love to have strong opinions on their bread. By the way, the same is true of cheesmakers... <BR> <BR>Some of the great food is just silly stuff in the supermarket-kile all those little speciality snack cracker that the French serve with cocktails-much more interesting and yummy than here. ALso, I always buy Maille mustard there to bring back here, because they make it stronger for the French pallette and it really makes dishes that call for mustard taste more authentic when you cook with it. The French like the mustard a bit stronger and less "sweet" than Americans. <BR> <BR>Be sure to check out Fauchon's-it is wonderful to just wander thorugh-as is the food section of the Bon Marche. And of course, don't miss the street markets, rue cler seems to be one here that people like. All the markets, both permanent, and moving, are listed in Patrica Well's book-A food Lovers guide to Paris. I think this is a must have for anyone interested in really "getting inside" of the French food experience in Paris. Have a great trip-you will definitely find your own favorites!

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 08:29 AM
elaine

Pastries: baba au rhum (rum syrup-soaked little spongecakes, with our without whipped cream inside); eclairs; mille feuilles (what in the US are called "Napoleons", layers of light flaky pastry with custard in <BR>between the layers); St Honore,a a mound of little puff pastry balls with whipped cream inside, and Mont Blanc, a mound of chestnut-flavored mousse with whipped cream. No calories of course. <BR> <BR>Some of the simple foods are the best: <BR>a roasted chicken (Bresse chickens are among the best); puree des pommes de terre (whipped potatoes); frites ("French fries" of course); cassoulet <BR>(a stew of beans, preserved duck meat, and sausage, this description doesn't do it justice); choucroute (a mound of <BR>sauerkraut surrounded by sausages and other pork delicacies);sausages like <BR>andouille and boudin; steak frites <BR>(steak with "french fries" );about 300 cheeses;salade nicoise (a salad of greens, tuna, olives,tomatoes, green beans, and sometimes potato chunks);brandade de morue( a dish that originates from the south of France, it's a baked puree of salt cod, potatoes, and garlic); and rillettes, a puree of pork or other meats that you spread on bread as an appetizer. That is not to be confused with wonderful pate of foie gras or other pates that you may find. And fresh foie gras, sauteed sometimes with fruit, and a glass of sweet wine, is indeed an appetizer that is heavenly. You'll even have lots of wonderful mushrooms to choose from: <BR>cepes, chanterelles,etc.And all kinds of new seafoods and fish to try. And you'll often find Italian oriented foods on the menus like raviolis, porcini mushrooms, <BR>lasagnas with interesting ingredients like asparagus, etc. <BR>enjoy <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 10:21 AM
Al

Once in France, my wife kept pestering me to have dinner in one of those places that serve crepes, those skinny pancakes which come with all sorts of stuff rolled in them on poured on them. Sure, why not. Well, I will tell you why not. Because you will be hungry in 10 minutes; no, make that 5 minutes. Crepes just don't cut it. Make mine a big plate of choucroute, pommes frites, and a beer. Yes, even French beer.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 05:43 AM
dan woodlief

Oysters, foie gras, chicken and veal dishes, onion soup, creme brule, flan, pastries, ice cream, hot chocolate, crepes, croque madame (ham and cheese sandwich with egg on top). A good class of wine to wash it all down. Second the suggestion to visit Fauchon's. They have a cafeteria too.