Confused

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused

Hi Guys,

Have been looking at past posts and looking on the internet hotel sites and think I have confused my self even more. Trying to find whats the best area to stay in London. Want to be close to all the main attractions and in an area that is safe and will be easy with public transport. We are also on a budget so am looking for nothing to $$. Had originally booked at Novotel Euston but doesnt seem to get to many good reviews from people who know the area.What do you think of Kensington,Waterloo, ?? Im open to suggestions. Travelling in June
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:49 PM

Try the area around Victoria Station. Underground and Rail and Bus are there. Walk or Bus to many places. Near Buckingham Palace. Upscale hotels and B&B's. Two theaters..
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:24 AM

If you're happy with the rate at the Novotel, stay there.

The area's absolutely fine. I walk through it at all hours. It's five minutes from two different tube stations and 30 seconds from the most sublime exhibition of books in the universe.

In a real city, the idea of a "best" area is silly. If you're on a budget, you don't want to stay in the poshest areas like Park Lane. This Novotel is a modern, slick, hotel in a reasonably convenient area, with real people living nearby.

Before the building was converted, it housed London's most respected advertising agency, which had the misfortune to count me among its clients. Not even my exceptionally anal, fastidious, Canadian, elderly chairman thought twice about visiting it (on his bike: only wimps, in his view, had drivers). Nor did my young, female, managers have any qualms about leaving the building, alone, on foot, late at night.

And the area has neither gone down nor gone up since then.

Indeed the biggest danger in the area is the risk of bumping into a fat, middle-aged Brit railing against the idiots who discourage sensible people from staying there.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:41 AM
ira

topping for rose
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:55 AM
rex

Okay, so I'm on a rant, but a message with a header like "Confused" makes me angry. I wonder how appealing you think this site will be, rose79, if you come back here and you see 50 questions in the lefthand column like this.

1. Confused
2. Confused also
3. Me too
4. More than her
5. Totally befuddled
6. Clueless
7. Can you help me?
8. Please?
9. Pretty please?
10. Looking for info
11. Does anybody know?
12. Traveling
13. Traveling soon
14. Thinking about traveling
15. Hi.
16. Hello.
17. Do you know where?
18. Really appreciate your help.
19. Trying to find out.
20. Trip.
21. Big trip.
22. Quick trip.
23. Long trip.
24. Short trip.
25. Where could I find?
26. What would be best?
27. I have a problem.
28. We have a problem.
29. What do you think?
30. Is this right?
31. Could this be right?
32. Is this the best?
33. Do you think it would be worth it?
34. Somebody told me.
35. Your advice?
36. Your advise?
37. Suggestions, please?
38. Suggestions, please!!!
39. Desperately need suggestions now!!
40. Europe.

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:56 AM
rex

Sheez. Drove me so crazy, I hit "Post" by mistake.

I think I'll wander off, looking for

"Help, please"...
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:59 AM

That was only 40 questions and Rex, you really need to get a life.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:14 AM
rex

You're right SusiQ. Thanks for jolting me back to reality, and realizing that the fifty message headers I was nightmarishly fearing will never happen.

With any luck, the final ten would look something like this:

41. Anybody know what London is like in March?
42. Anyone ever stayed at the Mayflower Hotel?
43. Suggestions for a hotel with rooms for three in the Earls Court area?
44. Any good bakeries in London?
45. Tips for three women traveling alone in London?
46. Is it safe walking around Paddington at night?
47. Ever booked with go-today?
48. When do flowers start blooming in London?
49. Would you pack an umbrella for a spring trip to London?
50. Do you think we could see the sun in London this spring?

I wouldn't feel comfortable answering these questions, but I just have a good feeling now, that some kind Fodorite could step forward and handle them...

wink...
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Enuf already-your point was made 50 times.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Oops, I meant to say "enough".
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Rex, you have just pointed out what I consider to be Fodor's biggest shortcoming: Lack of edit after hitting post. Even when I preview messages, I almost always remember something else I wanted to say (or want to delete something I did say) or some typy or misspelng or something that I want to change AFTER I post. It would be great even if we could only edit or delete for a limited amount of time after we post.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:33 AM

And I meant to add, I too, often compose messages which I never intend to send as a way of letting off steam. Occassionally, I make a mistake and send it. That's why on my regular email, I try not to do this with anything in the "To" field.

Bad Boy Rex. Flog yourself with the proverbial wet noodle.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 10:07 AM
yk

Rose-
I'll try to answer your question here instead of being dragged into the discussion of your title.

I personally like the Bloomsbury area (near British Museum). It has many tube stations around, as well as bus routes. Walking distance to Soho & Convent Garden. There are lots of B&Bs in that area, esp along Gower Street.
Kensington is ok, but I wouldn't stay near Waterloo.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM

flanneruk is right - the area around Euston is not dangerous. But if I could find a room at about the same price elsewhere I probably would. Again it isn't a terrible area - but with hundreds of budget accomodations all over London you might do better to pick a nicer neighborhood.

No hotel will be close to all the main attractions, but all attractions are within easy transport links of every part of central London.

Some areas to consider - South Kensington, Bloomsbury/Russell Square, Victoria, Knightsbridge/Mayfair (but these two neighborhoods have mainly higher priced places), Marylebone.

Some to avoid, Earls Court, Kings Cross, Euston and parts of Bayswater/Paddington. None of these are dangerous or nasty - just not the nicest or most convenient.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euston isn't that bad but it wouldn't be my first choice of a neighborhood. How good is your rate?

I'll second the idea of Bloomsbury for the reasons yk articulated. Lots of people on this board like the South Kens area. I think it's a little out of the way of most of the sites but I would definitely stay there. A little further west is the Earls Court area where there are plenty of tourist class and budget hotels. EC wouldn't be my first pick either but I would stay there. Lots of people report decent hotels and neighborhood type eateries. I don't know what janis' objections are.

Waterloo? Did you have something specific in mind? A couple of blocks from Waterloo next to the Westminster Bridge is the County Hall Bldg which houses (among other things) 2 hotels. County Hall is adjacent to the London Eye and has beautiful views of the Thames, Big Ben, Parliament etc. The Travel Inn County Hall is a budget chain with spacious, clean but no frills rooms for 80 odd GBP a night. The Marriott County Hall is a 4* property that has been won regularly on Priceline. Have you considered Priceline?

Who died and left rex Petulant Child In Charge?
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:46 AM

I, too, like the area near Victoria Station. It's absolutely loaded with decent (if not fancy) B&B options, it's quiet at night, and it's still walking distance to plenty of good stuff (with handy tube stations nearby as well).
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Rex the reason I put Confused as a Subject is so people would actually come in and read my question YOU have way to much time on your hand.. and would prefer you not to answer anymore of my questions!!

Anyway back to all the people who have actually helped me I will keep the first two nights at Novotel Euston for 47 Pounds a night and will then probably book my last two nights at the Holiday Inn Victoria for 73 Pounds as Novotel Euston is fully booked for the last two nights.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:13 PM
rex

<<the reason I put Confused as a Subject is so people would actually come in and read my question>>

Anf if everybody started using this "trick" to gain attention?

My point exactly.

Just a reminder - - our hosts tell you this, if you would bother to read their "instructions" - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm#Q6

"Finally, create a title - make sure it is concise and clearly describes your message (and destination, if applicable)"
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:30 PM

This may be a little picky, but if the title bothers you, why open and read the post. Just ignore it and find a title that makes you happy. (Your own titles were very creative though!)
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:35 PM

> Anf if everybody started using this "trick" to gain attention?

My God, there'd be chaos! Earthquakes, flood, fire and brimstone if people didn't have effective titles for their posts. Certain people may even have to go do something else rather than opening, answering and therefore topping every post they didn't like. The horror.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -