Reload this Page >

Conditions in Prague

Search

Conditions in Prague

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 05:38 AM
marilyn

Conditions in Prague

If anyone has been en Prague in the past week, I would appreciate comments regarding transportation, and general situation after the floods in August. We are going in November.<BR>Thanks

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 09:20 AM
David

Marilyn<BR><BR>No one has answered you question so here goes. I have to go to Prague on Monday with work and received this email from the Czech Government this morning.<BR><BR>"Your presence in Praha will be experienced as an act of solidarity and faith, a tangible support to the determination of a proud nation to overcome this setback. In the meantime, the historic centre of Praha is now again fully accessible. On August 28, the famous Charles Bridge was reopened to the public after being closed for two weeks due to the floods. The following areas of Praha remained virtually intact: the New Town (Wenceslas Square and surroundings), the Old Town (Old Town Square, Jewish Quarter and surroundings), Vinohrady, Zizkov and most other parts of Praha attractive for tourists. The Hradcany area with Praha Castle and surroundings were not affected by the flood at all, neither was the 4th district of Praha where our conference centre is located. We are relieved too that none of the radiotherapy departments in Praha were inundated.<BR><BR>The most seriously affected areas including Karlin, Troja and Holesovice (mainly industrial areas) are being quickly and systematically cleaned up. This week (03/09), thousands of residents of the Czech capital could return home as the authorities reopened parts of Praha 's low-lying Karlin district.<BR><BR>Three weeks after the floods fears of possible epidemics in the Czech Republic remain unfounded. In Praha, not a single case of hepatitis A, salmonella or dysentery has been reported. With regard to the underground service, you can find a map of the Praha underground on www.visitprague.cz/foto/metro_tram_big.jpg. Only the following metro stations are still closed: <BR>- on the Northern part of the red line C: Vltavska and Florenc<BR>- on the Green line C: Malostranska, Starometska, Mustek and Nartrida<BR><BR>All cancelled services have been replaced by special busses and by enhanced tram services. As a participant to our meeting you will be entitled to use all means of public transport in Praha for free from 16 to 21 September.<BR><BR>The usual programme is on in most of the theatres and hotel, restaurant & cafe owners and shop-keepers value every foreigner coming to Praha even more than before. We are sure you will have an excellent time in Praha and look forward to meeting you in what remains one of Europe's most beautiful and captivating capitals."<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 01:31 PM
dano

I have talked to my driver in Prague that i use all the time when i go there.<BR>He says all is pretty much fixed from flood and that all is fine.<BR>He also said that many of the people that are there now are amazed at how fast they have recovered.<BR>I may also be back there in november so i keep in touch with him by email.<BR>Any questions i will be glad to ask him for you.<BR>Dan

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Susan

Dan, thanks for the information. Would you ask your driver for some information on Telc. Thank you.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 04:00 PM
dano

susan,<BR>sorry, have not been on the site to answer your question or see it.<BR>I had in another mans question already answered though.<BR>I did ask the man i use for taxi and tours about Telc . He had called there and talked to the city hall. They had no damage from the floods.<BR>Hope this is not too late an answer??/

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Jim Tardio

I was in Prague last week...returned home on September 30th.<BR><BR>The conditions in Prague are just fine. Most of the Mala Strana was severly damaged by the flood, and all the buildings there are empty and under repair...except for a few close to the Charles Bridge. The bridge itself is open and quite lively.<BR><BR>Most of the underground metro system remains closed, but the above-ground trams are running, but are quite crowded. The Jewish cemetery is closed as are the related museums.<BR><BR>All and all, the flood didn't detract from my visit at all. Prague is alive and well. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Go with no worries.<BR><BR>Pictures to follow very soon.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:06 AM
judy d

Thanks for the update. I, too, have a trip planned there.