Concierge tipping in London

Nov 7th, 1997, 06:15 PM
Maria

Concierge tipping in London

I will be staying at the White House Hotel in London and would like to know when and how much one tips the concierge. Having never stayed at a hotel with a concierge before, I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Jun 11th, 2000, 05:20 PM
Cate

I also would like to know the proper way and time to tip the concierges in Europe (London, Paris, Nice, Madrid). Do I tip each time they do something or do I tip at the end of my stay. And how much? In the past I've always tipped generously at the end of my stay by presenting, in an envelope, the tip to the Concierge at the time I check out. But I often wonder if I shoulod be doing it daily. Thanks so much for help here....

Jun 12th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Beth Y

Interesting that this revitalized post began with a question regarding tipping the concierge at the White House. I am heading there in July, have already asked the concierge to help me with something and was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know the answer? I have not used a concierge much either and never tipped and wish I knew the proper thing to do. Thanks in advance.

Jun 15th, 2000, 06:54 AM
A Local

Tipping is not nearly as commonplace in Europe as it is in the US. It would be very unusual to tip a concierge in a UK hotel - unless they did something really out of the ordinary. Basically tipping in the UK is limited to waiters/waitresses (10 %, provided service not included in bill), taxi drivers (maybe 50 pence to 1 pound for short journey) and hotel porters (say 50p per case).

Jun 15th, 2000, 08:03 AM
elaine

Maria
this is just one other person's opinion, but I feel you needn't tip a concierge for routine services like making or confirming an easy restaurant reservation, especially if the concierge staff changes on each shift and you're not sure who really did what. I don't think tipping is wrong in that case, just not necessary. I would be more likely to tip occasionally if I am a repeat guest of the hotel and have asked for many favors before.
However, if he or she manages to get you tickets to a sold-out show, last-minute reservations at a fully-booked restaurant, sends someone to a video store to rent some videos for your kid, or, as in one case I know, sends someone out to purchase for you the cosmetics you left on the plane, then find out who did what, and tip accordingly, either that day or when you leave.

Jun 15th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Marion

Actually I was going to ask this very same question re Paris before September. Elaine, would you use the same guidelines for a Paris hotel? Just in case I ask for help getting tickets to a show or dinner reservations.
Thanks.

Jun 15th, 2000, 08:21 AM
elaine

Yep, that's my general policy, wherever.
To each her own.

Search this Thread