Concert at Musikverein, Vienna

Nov 4th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Concert at Musikverein, Vienna

Hello all, I'm fairly new here but have been searching through all the threads about Vienna/Prague.
I'll be in Vienna from Nov. 23-26 during the last leg of a trip. As an afterthought, I thought I'd check the concert schedule at Musikverein and am considering taking in an RSO Wien concert Friday night, mostly to experience the acoustical quality of the building, but also to have a chance to see the design of the interior.
My questions are:
1. Where exactly does one stand if they have a standing room only ticket? The website doesn't state where this is, although they offer such tickets for very little cost. I would tolerate having to stand, but if I'm right next to the ceiling or underneath a balcony I think the sound quality would be poor. Floor seats aren't unreasonably expensive, but I'd like to save $ if I can.
2. I would expect that most people attending would be dressed formally (button shirt and tie), but has anyone noticed people dressing more casually for these concerts? I'd love to eliminate one more clothing item from my luggage.
Thanks!
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Standees at the Musikverein are crowded into an area behind the last row of seats on the main floot. When I was a student in Vienna many years ago, we called it the "cattle pen." I recommend paying the additional amount for a seat.

Nowdays, you will see people casually dressed at concerts and others in suit and tie.

Nov 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
yk

ditto what musicteacher says.

The standing room is the area behind the last row of seats on the main floor. I don't think you can see much unless you get there early and save a spot in the front. That area is definitely underneath the balcony - can't tell you how the sound quality is.
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM

When we went to a concert there we got "orchestra" seats. I assumed they'd be in the area we generally consider the orchestra section, but they were literally in the orchestra(well, behind them). We sat close behind the horn section. It was interesting but the sound was completely different from sitting in front of the orchesta.
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all the answers! I think I'll go ahead and get a seat. I'd like to hear how good it can sound there. yk, your trip report for Vienna was great. Looks like I'll be there about the same time of year you were.
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
yk

spatzle - I'm glad you found my trip report useful. Hope you have a great trip. We had a wonderful time in Vienna.
Dec 12th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

As an update, I got a seat in the middle of the floor and it was wonderful. I've never heard a choir sound so good. There was indeed a crowd in the back underneath the balcony. Several people standing there were wearing jeans, while most everyone in the main seating was wearing a suit or dress. Note that programs are not free, you pay the usher to get one. While cameras were officially verboten, there were many people openly taking pictures in the standing room under the balcony before the concert and at the intermission, but I think I overheard someone ask one of them not to use flash.
It was an amazing experience that I would recommend to any music lover.