Eating light in Italy

Search

Eating light in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eating light in Italy

Is there a way to eat a light dinner in Italy? I am trying to continue my exercise and weight loss program through our 2 week trip to Italy and am concerned that just ordering a salad or an apetizer as a main course at dinner may be frowned upon.

The thought of eating dinner at cafeteria style restaurants while the rest of my family goes to tratoria's is not appealing. Is there a way out of this other than "you're on vacation, mangia, mangia" and run like hell when you get back home.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:15 AM
DRJ

KEYMAN: I visit Italy twice a year, eat whatever I want and have never experienced any frowns.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:21 AM

Keyman, We ate everything from light dinners to extravagant ones in an array of restaurants recently. I don't think you will have a problem staying within the range you wish while dining with your family. You will also not be frowned upon, as DRJ and many others have posted before. That is, unless you go some place like Hotel Cipriani and simply order a small salad....ha!

However, keep in mind that you will very likely lose some weight just due to all the walking you will do in Italy. There is another recent thread about "Paris & Weight Watchers," which you should read. I lost three pounds in 10 days in Italy and ate anything I wanted.

Good luck on sticking to your plan, but remember to splurge a little and enjoy the local culture, as well!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:22 AM

We live in Italy in the military, and unless you go to a "High End" Ristorante, you won't have any trouble eating ala carte what you want to order off of the menu. It is only the fancy places that expect people to order an appetizer, first course(pasta or rice), second course (Meat) Contorni-side dish, and Salad, or soup, and a desert with a caffe. The food is delicious, and you will want to sample some of the local cuisine. Don't completely miss out on this part of the experience--believe me you will burn MANY calories Walking and climbing STEPS !!!!!! Enjoy Patti
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The food experience is such a big part of Italian culture that you really shouldn't deprive yourself totally. Just eat smaller portions (no one makes you clean your plate). But I think you'll find the tomatoes and cheese so fresh and the pasta so good that it'll be hard to resist. Plus, you'll be active on vacation...I doubt you can do much damage in 2 weeks, maybe a few vanity pounds, if that. Don't miss out!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:33 AM

We go to Italy and Europe often. I have never had a problem with eating light. We don't like to eat a lot because it weighs you down for walking. You can order any part of the meal you like. We always come back weighing less even when we don't try.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:09 AM
ira

Hi Key,

May I suggest that you order an antipasto and a primo. Better than a salad and not filling.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:10 AM
ira

Ooops,

Should have said "and not heavy".
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Pizzerias are a good option for a light dinner. The pizzas are very thin and not laden with cheese and meat as they are in the USA. You could eat one yourself or share one and no one will frown. Try dinner in an enoteca like Cul de Sac. They serve small appetizer type portions along with the wines as well as full dinners. Many Italians go to enotecas for a light dinner after their main meal of the day, lunch. I don't know of any trattoria that would be upset if you asked for a "mezza" (half) portion of pasta. They do that all the time. Another favorite of mine for a light dinner is Filletaro di Santa Barbara just of Campo di Fiori in the Largo di Librari. It serves wonderful fried salt cod and veggies. Although fried, it's very light. And cheap and fast.