Gluten Free Italy

Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Gluten Free Italy

I am going to Italy, and need to stay away from wheat and gluten in the meals. Will this be a big problem?
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM

Not if you can eat fish, chicken, beef, pork, veal/lamb, etc. It's not all pasta, especially in the north.

I'd get a good menu translator so that you can understand the descriptions.

Someone once posted here the Italian phrase for a person like you to use in restaurants: "Does it have ...? I can't eat ..." Perhaps someone could re-post that helpful information.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:34 PM

I just found this in the Fodor's archives, although I can't vouch for accuracy:

Sono celiaco e quindi sono intollerante al glutine contenuto nella pasta, pane, riso e tutti i loro derivati.

I also found mention of a celiac organization (www.csaceliacs.org) that might be able to help you.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM

There are many Celiacs in Italy so you will have no problem. The Italians have developed several Gluten Free pastas which can be purchased at Pharmacies. The best site for Gluten Free restaurant cards is www.celiactravel.com
Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM

Hi sherwood, you don't have to order pasta in Italy or eat the bread etc.

I have no idea where in Italy you will be but there are all kinds of food in the restaurants in Italy that you will be able to eat.

Can you eat rice,I do not know if rice is a gluten food. If not, order the risotto's, they are fabulous.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:07 PM

I am a celiac; risotto and polenta and the main courses are fine. No worries, the food is terrific!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:18 PM

Hi enzian, I didn't think risotto was gluten but I was not sure. Sherwood, the risotto in Italy is fabulous as is polenta. Pasta is not the main course in Italy as it often is in the US (where I assume you live). I know you will not be able to eat pizza or the sandwiches either but believe me you will eat so well in Italy..and do enjoy the gelato. In case you think I don't understand I can not eat any corn product or any dairy product ( so no polento, cheese or gelato for me, sob) but I still enjoy the food in Italy..I get hungry just thinking about it. Go, enjoy and as the Italians say "mangia"!