Reload this Page >

Commuter villages/towns near Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Lynne

<BR>I would love to hear of any pleasant towns<BR>outside Paris with good **/*** hotels and<BR>frequent rail/bus service into Paris centre.<BR><BR>Thanks for any suggestions!

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Maira

I loved the town of Bourges, about two hours south of Paris. On our drive there, we stopped at a beautiful chateau in the small town of Sully, which we explored as well. Gorgeous and untouristed. At Bourges we stayed at the Hotel De Bourbon, a 16th Century old abbey with a great, great restaurant. Check this website for ideas http://www.alpha-hotellerie.com/accueil.html Have a great time planning! Fodor's France was invaluable on our planning.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Maira

P.S. Chateau in Sully http://www.freefoto.com/pictures/france/sully/index.asp?i=1<BR><BR>The town is sitting next to the chateau, you can park at the chateau (Open to the public) and walk. I learned later that this was the first place where they took Joan of Arc to be interrogated right after she was aprehended.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Lynne

Thanks, Ladies, for the info.<BR>Bourges sounds wonderful - but a little<BR>far away for a commute <BR><BR>I tried to check out Sully - no answer!<BR>(I'm being Sully, sorry.)<BR><BR>Any other ideas, folks?<BR><BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Lynne

I see I've cloned you into twins, Maira!<BR>Must learn to read 'authors' before <BR>responding!<BR><BR>I think the southern part of the environs might be best - does anyone<BR>know what Chatillon is like?<BR><BR>Merci<BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:37 AM
wes fowler

Lynne, <BR>Consider Compiegne the ancient royal and imperial town. It's north of paris and only about 40 minutes ride by train. A historic town (Jeanne d'Arc was captured there by the Burgundians; Louis XVI first met Marie Antoinette there; both Napoleon and Napoleon III spent time in the early Eighteenth century Le Palais. In 1918, the armistice ending World War I was signed on the outskirts of the town), the town is bisected by the river Oise.<BR><BR>There is a charming three star inn on its outskirts, the Hostellerie du Royal Lieu. The spacious rooms, each with a distinctive decor - the Edelweis, the Renoir, the Toulouse-Loutrec overlook a lovely garden and glassed in restaurant that features superb regional cuisine. Helene Bonechi is the proprietress, Angelo, her husband is the chef. <BR><BR>The inn is at 9 rue de Senlis, 60200 Compiegne, tel: 44 20 10 24; Fax: 44 86 82 27.<BR><BR>I recommend both the town and the inn highly.<BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Maira

Lynne-- how far away are you looking to conmute? Are you looking for towns to stay overnight, hence the hotel inquiry? That's why I mentioned Bourges; I thought a two-hour away, small, pleasant town outside Paris would fit the bill. Anyway, Sully does exist! It is a small town just southeast of Orleans, on the banks of the Loire River, surrounded by St. Benalt, Ouzouer, and Vannes. Have a great time planning! I love to see people with the bravado to get out of the big cities and explore! Have fun!!

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 12:42 PM
kavey

Oh Compiegne is LOVELY!<BR>My french exchange partner (from school) is from a little village called Porquericourt, near Noyon and over the years I have stayed with her family often.<BR><BR>I always loved Compiegne for its cathedral and wonderful ambience, with beautiful boutique shopping, a market and lovely centre.<BR><BR>I have never stayed their overnight but I am sure it would be lovely.<BR><BR>This area of France is so charming.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 12:43 PM
kavey

Now I am wondering whether it's a cathedral or a church, but whatever, it's beautiful and a delightful town to walk around and sight see in.<BR>Kavey

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Laurel

Gentilly has a small town feel on the rail, just past the last metro stop.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Ann

I used to live just outside St Germain en Laye and my husband used to commute into Paris from St Germain station. It was a very quick and easy journey into Paris (20 to 30 minutes depending on where you are going), and St Germain is a lovely town. See http://www.ville-st-germain-en-laye.fr.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 09:49 PM
Lynne

Thank you all so very much for the great<BR>suggestions - as a Canadian I don't know<BR>if I'll have an airline to fly on by May<BR> so I can't book into a small hotel<BR>in Paris. As long as we can get into<BR>Paris easily it might be fun to stay <BR>outside of the Big City!<BR><BR>Merci mille fois!