Best route - Santander to Madrid

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 08:35 AM
Andy & June

Best route - Santander to Madrid

Hi all,
My wife and I are arriving in Santander in November (the last ferry) and will then be driving to Alicante. I am uncertain about which route to take to Madrid - No tolls on the N611/N627/N623 to Burgos or the toll route A68/A1 to Burgos.
My wife uses a wheelchair to get about - so could anyone suggest suitable stops - perhaps a night north of Madrid?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanking you in advance,

Andy & June

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 09:45 AM
Maribel

Andy,
Are you the same Andy of "en-route" accomodations in Spain"? I just responed to that thread, but with info on an overnight south of Madrid, as I didn't think about your arriving on the last ferry-sorry. For an overnight just north of Madrid,
there's the inexp.
"Casón de la Pinilla" at Cerezo de Arriba
www.segovia-sp.com/cason/
email: [email protected]

Or the "Posada de Sigueruelo" at
Sigueruelo
http://www.turismo-rural.org/fichas/siguer.htm

Or "Hotel Aranda" in Aranda de Duero (basic, functional hotel-has an elevator-the "Tres Condes" is a bit nicer, but no elevator)
tel: 947 50 16 00
fax: 947 501 604

Sorry I can't advise about wheelchair access, but you can call, fax or email to ask.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 09:47 AM
Andy & June

Thank you for your speedy reply, Maribel, but no, I am not the other Andy of 'enroute'.
I'll give "Casón de la Pinilla" at Cerezo de Arriba a try for starters.
Have you any info on the two routes?
Is the N62 a reasonable road?
Regards

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 10:43 AM
Maribel

Andy,
Sorry to have confused you with Andy 2!
I prefer to take the toll route to Bilbao then down to Burgos, simply because it's much speedier and easier driving. On the N611, you'll have a stretch of mountain driving from around Reinosa to Aguilar de Campoo, and while it's quite scenic, it will slow you down. Having said that, the N611 is well maintained (but I haven't been on it for 2 summers), so it really depends on how quickly you want to reach your first night's lodging. Since you'll be arrving on the last ferry, you'll probably want to get down past Burgos and as close to Madrid as quickly as possible. The Madrid-Alicante run should take you about 4 hrs. (425 km.) says www.guiacampsa.es On its home page,
under "carreteras", click on "autopistas de peaje y precios", and you can see how much you will pay in tolls on the A68/A1.

Hopes this helps you to decide.
Regards,
Maribel

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 10:49 AM
Maribel

Argh! Correction!!! Look at home page of www.dgt.es for the info on "autopistas de peaje y precios" (toll motorways and prices)

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:43 PM
Andy & June

Your advice is much appreciated - I've contacted the hotel and I am awaiting a reply.
BTW when I said 'the last ferry' I was referring to the last ferry of the year, or so I am led to believe, from Plymouth to Santander. We should arrive in Santander about 1pm and so I think that the 'scenic' route may suit and there should be plenty of time to reach Cerezo de Arriba by late afternoon.
As a matter of interest, in the UK toll roads/bridges do not charge vehicles carrying disabled people - is it the same in Spain?

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:25 PM
Cova

Hi Andy,
sorry, but it´s not the same in Spain. There is no differences between vehicles with able or disable people inside.
I see that you are supposed to be arriving at around 1 o´clock to Santander. You should take into acount that November will be darker, and the night will come earlier that during the summer, so more than likely you will be arriving at Cerezo de Arriba in the dark.
Check the website that Maribel mentioned :
http://www.guiacampsa.es
It is quite helpful.

Rgds, Cova

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Maribel

Hi Andy,
Yes, of course...the last ferry of the season, not the last one of the day (very cloudly thinking there); after all, there are only 1-2 ferries a week from Plymouth to Santander in Nov, aren't there? I knew that, I really did...
And checking www.brittany-ferries.com sure helped!

The 2 lady owners of the "Casón de la Pinilla" are very nice & accomodating, but if it doesn't have wheelchair access, you might contact "Posada de los Vientos" in La Acebeda, 15 min. further down and right off the motorway. Phone: 91 8699195
Fax: 91 8699195

Or better still...
A short 25 km. detour down the N110 from the A1/E5 is Pedraza de la Sierra. It's a charming, tiny, picture-perfect Renaissance village tucked within medieval walls with seigniorial homes on its picturesque, porticoed Plaza Mayor-a very worthy side trip in its own right. It has 2 very pretty family run inns, the "Hotel de la Villa" (chic) and "Posada de don Mariano" (cute)-Posada is a bit less exp, but H de la V has an elevator. We've stayed in Pedraza twice and really enjoy the ambiance. It's blissfully quiet-a totally delightful experience!
See
www.karenbrown.com for both

Another helpful site for route planning is www.viamichelin.com Michelin and Campsa estimate your travel time to Cerezo btwn 3-3 1/2 hrs.

Hope this helps a bit more.
Regards,
Maribel

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Andy & June

Luis Oteyza, of "Casón de la Pinilla" assures me that they have had several guests with wheelchairs and they show no problem in getting into the rooms/bathroom. The other requirement that this hotel will accomodate, and one that I have not mentioned, is that it will allow a dog to stay in the rooms, with the proviso that "We allow dogs, with a severe restricción in not sleeping over the beds." - We will be taking one very well behaved dog, Lady a black & tan Alsatian on our trip!
Many thanks for your other suggestions - they sound very tempting, but I think that the above stop should suffice.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Maribel

Andy and June,
You're very welcome. Glad the Pinilla has worked out for you. Have a very pleasant journey and enjoy your time in Alicante!
Maribel

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:37 PM
cova

Hi Andy,
I hope you haven?t left yet for Spain. If you are planning to get the road from Santander to Burgos, please reconsider it, specially taking into account that you are travelling with a handicapped person.
That road goes across the Paramo de la Masa, and due to the bad weather we are having in the North of Spain, 200 people got stuck yesterday afternoon in a snow storm. They had to be rescued by the Guardia Civil in motorbikes and 4-wheel vehicles, but that was after 6 hours and it was 9 o?clock in the night already.
The weather is supposed to get better now, but I think you would prefer to arrive to Alicante ASAP. Naturally, things like that can also happen in the N-1 road, but it is kind of safer.
Also, if you have a mobile phone in the UK, check with your provider and bring it with you. It could come handy, specially to call to your hotel and tell them what?s going on.
Regards, and good luck.