Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Comments wanted on Malahide Castle and Bantry House

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:17 PM
martha

Both of these sites are on my "maybe" list for my trip to Ireland next September. Any insights into these will be appreciated.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:21 PM
bill

Well, I wouldn't go way out of my way for them, though if you are nearby, you might want to stop.

Bill

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:26 AM
Siobhan

I have nevere heard of anyone who went to Malahide castle. It's not counsidered a tourist place on the to do list of Dublin. I have driven by but I can think of several other places that are more interesting in Dublin.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:57 AM
Amy

It IS a tourist site on a visit to Dublin. There is a bus tour leaving the O'Connell Street tourist office (that is how we got there). The exterior of the castle is quite pretty. At the time of my visit, the interior wasn't up to snuff (a lot of things described on the tour/guide were not even in the rooms) but I've heard it's been done since then (1996). What it does have is a marvelous model railroad exposition in the back that even impressed me, and I'm no fan.

Given the choice, I'd see Newgrange first though.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:54 AM
jo

Bantry House is beautiful- well worth a visit and it's in a nice area (West Cork, esp. if you go further west to Glengarriff, great scenery). If you're interested you might try to visit while the chamber music festival is being held, as they hold wonderful music evenings in the House..
I've heard that Malahide castle is rather nice, but not really spectacular (was there when I was about 5 so I don't remember!)