Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Comments on Katowice, Poland--good or bad?

Apr 18th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

My son will be working in Europe this fall. He has friends in Katowice who have told him they can find him a cheap apartment there for the month of August. They have told him that the area has lakes and mountains etc. and that he would like the activities available. We are thinking about visiting him for 10 days or so when he has the apartment. We might rent a car so we could take day trips fro Katowice. The only place we have been in Poland is a week-end in Krakow which we really enjoyed.

But, I was doing a search for Katowice on this forum and found someone who said it was the worst place he'd ever visited. Has anyone else visited Katowice and its surrounding area? What would your comments be?
Apr 18th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

One more thing Iforgot to add. I guess I should say that we are beyond the point in our European travels where we feel a need to be constantly on the go and visit the typical sights non-stop. Our last 2 trips we've rented houses off the beaten path for a week so we can slow down and see more of the "real" area. We also enjoy nature and the outdoors in addition to the usual cultural ahd historic sights. thanks in advance.
Apr 18th, 2003, 10:19 PM

Katowice is a large industrial city (similar to Newark NJ) famous for it's steel - it's rather ugly city with very low air quality as well as water. If you dress white - your whites will become gray at the end of the day walking around Katowice. As for Mountains and lakes Forests etc. It's all some distance outside of Katowice. As for Geographic location - it is great - with all major highways running thru it - which will definitly make day trips quick and efficiant. So definitly don't plan on spanding much time in Katowice. Within 1hr or less taking A4 you be in Krakow. Or take #4 East to Olkusz then North to Ogrodzieniec Castle...
http://republika.pl/olkusz/trasy/trasa2.htm
http://www.wolbrom.pl/
http://www.silesia2000.pl/angielski/urzad/gminy/ogrodzieniec.htm
http://www.silesia2000.pl/angielski/index.html
from Ogrodzieniec north about 20km Mirow Castle is another gem - then bit east of Czestochowa - Castle in Olsztyn is also nice. South Of Katowice about 30min drive there is Oswiecim (ww2 Nazi Camps). Another 30min of driving form Oswiecim (south East) you end up in Wadowice (were Pope lived before bacoming the Pope) which is very colorful and folk. List goes on so definitly plan on renting a car and enjoy the area.
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:00 AM

Katowice..Find the main library. It is suppose to have a state-of-the-art book conveyor system. Watch for the Romanian(?) ladies near the train station. They are skillful bandits. Train service is good. Try a day trip to Wroclaw. Station office has time table just for Katowice. New Pizza Hut.
Apr 19th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for filling me in and giving me a more complete picture of the area.