Reload this Page >

Comment on my itinerary please...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Bob

Hello, <BR><BR>After reading many a post - I've decided on the following itinerary. We will be arriving and departing from Munich and have already spent time there. This trip's goal is an alpine experience - with some diversity.<BR><BR>So:<BR>Arrive AM - drive to Salzburg -stopping along the way<BR>2 nights Salzburg area - maybe Land Salzburg <BR>2 nights Dolomites<BR>4 nights Engadine valley<BR>1 night Munich<BR><BR>What do you think?<BR><BR>Hotel recommendations requested as well.<BR><BR>We prefer 4-5 star - but not too snooty.<BR><BR>Thanks, <BR><BR>Bob<BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 09:55 AM

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Mike

Doable - a lot of driving.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Mike

Doable - a lot of driving.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Andre

Bob,<BR><BR>I agree with the other posters - sounds like a LOT of driving! Perhaps you really enjoy driving on mountain roads/passes... you will certainly be going through some beautiful scenery.<BR><BR>Personally, I enjoy hiking and taking cablecars at least as much as driving. That's why I would leave out the Engadine and lengthen my stay in the Dolomites and the Salzburg area - a tough decision, because the Engadine is also amazing. <BR><BR>I would recommend Cortina d'Ampezzo as a base for the Dolomites and highly recommend the Park Hotel Faloria (www.phfaloria.it). The hotel Ancora right in the center of town also looked very nice, though I didn't stay there.<BR><BR>In the Engadine, I stayed at the Hotel Walther in Pontresina. I wouldn't recommend it - too stuffy.<BR><BR>Haven't been to Salzburg & surroundings yet - shame on me!<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Bob Brown

I think you are underestimating the slowness of those mountain roads in Austria, Italy and Switzerland.<BR>Just how do you propose to drive from the Dolomites to the Engadine, and then from the Engadine to Munich?<BR>There are few autobahns for you to use.<BR>I think it would take you 8 hours or more to drive from Cortina d'Ampezzo to St. Moritz or Ponresina. <BR>I took all day to drive from S&ouml;lden through Innsbruck, the Brenner Pass, and over the Grossglockner to Salzburg.<BR>True, we stopped at the Swarovski center in the Hohe Tauren park before driving over the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, but still, except for the two autobahn stretches, we were hard pressed to average 60 - 65 kph.<BR>